Cherry & Ash Dresser

Dknapp34

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I've never seen the 45* with the sacrificial fence done before. Cool idea but not sure why you did it this way? Enlighten me. 

It makes doing the miters pretty foolproof. With the blade buried in the fence, you can't over cut the miter. You just set the blade height so that the outside edge of the teeth are the same height as the thickness of your stock. Think I first saw this technique in in an old fine woodworking. I used it before with good success.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Looks great ! Are you going to domino the case miters?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yup. I'm domino-ing everything. By the time I'm done, the dresser will be about 40% domino. 

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Any issue with the off-cut kicking back?

What Steve said. Plus, the off cuts are so small that they don't do much damage.

• Like 1

Finished the other two web frames and did a dry fit of the entire case:

IMG_1586.JPG

Miters on the top come together pretty well (no clamps applied, just a dry fit):

IMG_1588.JPG

Miters on the bottom, not so much:

IMG_1587.JPG

My cletus-wood bottom panel potato chipped on me after I glued it up. I'm not that concerned though. I think it will come together once I get clamps on it. I'll probably make some corner clamping jigs to help with the glue up though.

I used the ugly cletus cherry for the web frames, which I left recessed an inch back from the front of the case. I will be cutting some 1" strips of the good cherry to glue to the front of the web frames, bringing them flush with the front. Since they will be showing, I wanted them to be from the same wood I used on the case. I probably could have made thee entire front piece of the web frames from the good cherry and then notched it so that it fit into the stopped dado and was flush with the front, but I figured if I cut a separate strip and glued it on after the case was together, it would be easier to get a perfect fit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress slowed down a bit because I got sidetracked with some other things, but I did manage to start making the drawers. This will be the first time I've done half blind dovetails by hand. I've cut a fair number of regular dovetails, but it's been about two years since I've done that, so my muscle memory is completely gone. All in all, I'd say they came out not too bad. Hopefully by the last drawer they'll be perfect. 

IMG_0044.JPG

Unfortunately, I dropped my naniwa 8000 grit waterstone on the ground while I was mid-drawer and cracked it in half. On the bright side, I've been meaning to try out different stones, so it was a good opportunity to do that. I bought Shapton 8000 and 16000 grit glass stones to replace it. I honed up all of my PMV-11 chisels using the Shaptons and I have to say, I'm impressed. Not sure if its the stones of the fact that I'm going to a higher grit, but the edge was fantastic--better than I've ever had. I'm also starting to experiment with freehand sharpening. I did the primary bevel with a guide, but I freehand sharpened the secondary bevel and it worked well. I might try to go all freehand soon. 

Looks like you hand cut those half blind dovetails. Getting good at hand cut dovetails in all their forms is my joinery goal for this year. I like the whole project. 

Design question: what made you decide to use center glides instead of side hung wooden slides?  Is it based on size and expected weight?

10 hours ago, prov163 said:

Design question: what made you decide to use center glides instead of side hung wooden slides?  Is it based on size and expected weight?

Nothing in particular. I saw that Marc used center glides in his modern dresser guild build and it looked like a good option, so I went with it.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Hey, those half blind dt's look great. Don't know how you can improve on the last ones. Looking good dude!

Thanks, but notice I didn't provide a close up shot...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Darn nice dovetails.  What muscle memory you have left is more than I ever had.  I like it.

Thanks, Ronn. That's the last drawer I did and I definitely got better as I went along. Some of the other ones didn't come out as well, but overall I was pretty happy with how how they came out. Definitely an improvement from the last time I did hand cut dovetails. The biggest difference, I think, is that I got a good marking knife since then.