Power Planer (Dewalt 734) blades. Disposable or sharpen?

bbarry9999

DW734 blades are indexed and therefor have a set protrusion from the head.  These are disposable blades although I have heard of some folks very carefully sharpening them so as not to remove too much material.  They are pricey but, not as much as a machine repair in the event that things went awry.  I did luck out onto a few sets at $25 each at an outlet warehouse of some kind and these went with my machine when I sold it.  If you are going through the double sided knives too quickly you probably need to consider stepping up the food chain as to your machine ;-)

The truth is, they can be honed once or twice, but for the most part they are tossed. It's DeWalt's way of keeping you hooked and spending money.  Infinity Tools, has better blades , but I don't know if they have them for the #734.  Sharpening those blades will take off to much, and since they are fixed in the planer you'll lose the edge for cutting.  a Honing is your only option .

16 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

I see that Infinity has carbide blades and HSS blades for both the 734 and 735.  At the price the carbides cost, would it be worth upgrading to a helical instead?  Does anybody know how their various blades compare to the stock ones?

Haha I love how we jump.  Should I buy new blades>has or carbide> carbide is spendy. I should go helical. 

• Like 2

I had a set of infinitys carbide tipped blades in my 735 and I thought they were great.

I also have a planer with a Bryd Head so I had no need for two Bryd heads.The 735 was great at taking very lite cuts and the knives held up for a year or more before sharpening them.

Heres my sharpening jig the saw kerfs are 45.

Aj

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aj3 said:

I had a set of infinitys carbide tipped blades in my 735 and I thought they were great.

I also have a planer with a Bryd Head so I had no need for two Bryd heads.The 735 was great at taking very lite cuts and the knives held up for a year or more before sharpening them.

Heres my sharpening jig the saw kerfs are 45.

Aj

And what are you using to lap them that isn't eating into the melamine?

I have been sharpening my lunchbox planer blades on my Tormek jig for years now. It doesn't get frequent use but the blade holder does let me adjust the blade out to the proper position. A Tormek and the jig are quite pricey but I have sharpened blades late at night and been set up to work again the next morning. It takes so little metal off its like honing them.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised no one here has tried the infinity tools blades on a 734.  I know the 735 is the planer of choice, but I figured there'd be enough cheapskates like me on here to have several 734s floating around.

I feel like I could get a better finish off my 734 than I do, and there is a small knick in one of my blades.  Probably no later than spring I intend on a new set, probably from infinity.  I'll keep everyone posted when that happens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, laws0061 said:

I tried some Powertech brand knifes for my 734 off Amazon, $35 I think, which are cheaper that DeWalt ones. Haven't ran much wood through them yet though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been using the Powertech ones in my 734 for just over a year now. I've been reasonably happy... They're cheaper than the Dewalt blades, but they don't seem to be any worse (or much better, unfortunately).

• 1 year later...

I'd like to bump this thread as I have the 734 and think it works great. I'm still on the original set of blades after three years of making furniture as a hobbyist. Never any snipe, always a smooth finish and I couldn't ask more from a power tool. 

That said, I do wonder about replacement blades and what y'all are doing with this planer :)

• 2 months later...