Woodriver planes

dflan004

Anyone have any experience with the woodriver planes from woodcraft? Are they any good? Right now all i have is a cheap Stanley i think i paid 25 bucks for it. However i really wanting to upgrade to a better want. I don't want to get in the business of restoring and old one unless its a last resort. Right now im looking at woodriver and similarly priced Stanley on amazon ($120). Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The WR are what I would consider to be just barely sub-premium users. This ignores boutique which I would consider super premium or collectors. As users they equal Bailey pattern planes of most eras. They can be a touch more fettling than LN or LV. They are a great value, but because they are manufactured in China. Global market issues aside, I can recommend them. If fettling does not scare you, you have to balance the used market around you. I say this with LN, LV, WR, and older Stanley planes in my kit. 

• Like 1

Yes, as well as removing burrs or easing edges. Those sorts of things. Not as much honing, that will be needed at some point any way. 

EDIT: looked up fettle and it is literally the removing of rough edges on a casting by definition. I think we use it for more than that in usage. 

• Like 2

WR planes seem to be very well reviewed.  Jay Bates just did a side by side with his WR #4 1/2 and a LN #4 and says they perform nearly the same, though the LN was straight from the box and he had honed the WR.  Of course at the end he says he would buy the LN if he were to do it over again.  For the price though, they are a very reasonable alternative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dflan004 said:

Anyone have any experience with the woodriver planes from woodcraft? Are they any good? Right now all i have is a cheap Stanley i think i paid 25 bucks for it. However i really wanting to upgrade to a better want. I don't want to get in the business of restoring and old one unless its a last resort. Right now im looking at woodriver and similarly priced Stanley on amazon ($120). Thoughts?

That depends entirely on your needs,  and Neanderthal goals.  I have a block, #62 LAJ, #7, and 2 rabbet planes from Woodriver.  They work for me and do what I need.  But I use planes far less than some and I don't anticipate changing.  If I was more involved in the hand tool world I would have spent (more) of my money on better tools.  

Woodriver is the brand name in the Americas. They are known by the name QUANGSHENG planes in the UK (and some other areas of the world). They are seriously good, have T10 irons and I have handled many of their models. I own a Quangsheng chisel plane and a low angle rabbetting block plane. I can confirm both are superb quality, needed very little (if any) fettling and work great.

I also have premium planes (LN and LV) to compare against. It is true that the Woodriver (Quangsheng) are not as fine quality as the LN/LV but they certainly are approaching it.

Well recommended.

I have a WR smoother and block plane.  Of the two I use the smoother a lot more (it's my only smoother).

I got it because I was curious about WR planes and figured I'd try it out.  I spent some time tuning it up before using, which was a great experience.  I think it works really well and it fits my hand almost perfectly.  I'm still considering taking the plunge and going all-out with either LN or LV (just to have a set of high end planes that all match :) ) but for now I'm very pleased with the WR.

Shannon Rogers did some reviews of WR planes over on his site (http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/) - just do a search for "woodriver".