Side Table

Isaac

Looking good.  It never occurred to me to use mortises that exit the top of the legs.  Do you find that easier than a regular mortise?  Does that bottom of your mortise have to be dead on or do you have another way of getting the tops of the aprons all at the proper height?  I usually cut my mortises a little long aand my legs exact and then adjust the aprons to the leg tops during gluing.....risky.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Looking good.  It never occurred to me to use mortises that exit the top of the legs.  Do you find that easier than a regular mortise?  Does that bottom of your mortise have to be dead on or do you have another way of getting the tops of the aprons all at the proper height?  I usually cut my mortises a little long aand my legs exact and then adjust the aprons to the leg tops during gluing.....risky.

I don't really have a regular mortise set up. I cut the mortises on my router table using the fence and stop block, so I could just ram the leg in until I hit the stop block, which gave me very consistent depth. I squared the mortises with a chisel and also paired off a tiny bit of the tenon at the bottom, probably about 1/8", which made the apron pieces cover the bottom of the mortises. I had to do two passes, because the full depth was too much for a single pass. The only challenge was the mortises were not centered, which meant I had to do one set up for one side and a different set up for the adjacent side. I was worried I'd made some mistake and the thing would be un-buildable, which is why I took the time to slide in the test spacers, just to see if it would even form a table like structure, once I was satisfied of that, it was a huge relief. 

I've got one in glue up right now and should only have to flush cut the tops of the legs to make it nice and smooth. In this case the table top will extend over the apron and legs, further concealing any minor discrepancies between the top of apron and underside of table top. 

13 hours ago, Isaac said:

The only challenge was the mortises were not centered, which meant I had to do one set up for one side and a different set up for the adjacent side.

great looking pair of tables Isaac, when i have off center mortices like that i run them thru the router right to left on the ones i can, and on the other ones i set my stop and plunge the bit in and router as normal, right to left, i take small cuts and square the mortice with a chisel like you do

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

The knot looks good but I really like the sapwood bookmatch ! The splayed legs give the table a nice stance.

Signed and dated ?

Yeah I wish I could have book matched the knot as well, but I only had it on one piece of wood, but just decided to go with it because I liked the look and knew it would really pop once I finished it. 

I haven't signed my pieces before, would a permanent marking somewhere on the underside work, or should I have done that before applying three coats of urethane... <_<

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

Sharpie this time, brand for future projects...

http://gearheartindustry.com/products/custom-logo-branding-iron

Nice job, Isaac.

O man, that is awesome and surprisingly reasonably priced. Now I just need a logo. Also, how do people heat those? over the stove? a torch? 

7 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Agreed, both are nice, but i prefer the sapwood bookmatch with a hint of curl.

Yeah that is the consensus both here and people who've seen it. It was my favorite all along too, but that knot is really quite nice up close. 

1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Mine is corded but you can buy a torch-heated version as well.

O right, like a wood burner, that makes sense.

I was just thinking of the cattle rustler style branding and thinking, man, I don't generally have an open pit of hot coals going in my (basement) woodshop... now what?

18 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Isaac, those tables look great! A note on the branding iron - I use a shop built iron, and it heats up fine if I place it on the eye of my kitchen range (electric) for a few minutes, on high. No flame required.

How did you ever mold the actual branding end? Do you have metal working tools and such?