Finishing Room/Spray Room

IAHawk

I am in the process of making a finishing room and plan on putting an exhaust fan in it. Now a majority of the time I use water based finishes and on rare occasions use shellac. But I think in the future I will be expanding my finishing options.

The question is do I really need to get an explosion proof fan? There is a huge difference in price when buy a explosion proof fan compared to a regular exhaust fan. Also what size or CFM should I consider. My room is 8x18x9.

After doing some research I think I will just use the room to only spray water based finishes which is what I use a majority of there time. I can use my garage to spray other finishes. My plan is to install an exhaust fan in the south wall, have a double door to close the room and the only fresh air would be coming from the ceiling vent, would that be enough incoming fresh air? Before the remodel I just finished by hand in my assembly room. Would installing an intake fan help. If so where would be a good location for it?

I have attached some pictures of the room.

Thank you

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

You want more exaust fan volume than intake so none of your overspray can drift or seep into the house. I would close the vent to the house HVAC system and have a intake fan with a filter on it just pulling from the room outside the door. Paint the room bright white semigloss and have plenty of lighting .

• Like 1

My room is approx  9' x 12' x 10' high and I have a 12" non explosion proof fan. Other than the occasional small wipe on shellac or spray lacquer project I primarily water based finishes and it works well. It clears the room no problem I have it on regardless of what I am using for finish when in the room. I do have a filter in front of the fan and also have an opening to the main shop 16" x 24" that  have filters on both sides of to pull air into the room. Like Steve said white walls and lots of good lighting are very helpful. I have double doors with windows from the main shop into the room as well. 

12 hours ago, hawkeyestoob said:

Hey there IAHAWK I am guessing that you are somewhere in Iowa by your name here. I ran across this paint booth fan on craigslist this evening. It is in Rockford IL so it would potentially be reasonable if you are on the eastern edge of Iowa.

Just be aware; that is not an explosion proof motor.

5 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Is there a code on the motor label that says it ain't so?

-Ace-

The motor nameplate will state what it is rated for. But just visually, and explosion proof motor will be totally enclosed, fan cooled, so it will have a fan shroud on the end & probably fins running down the sides. It will also have a heavy cast junction box on the side with a heavy cover that bolts on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. The fan on Craig's list is about 2 hours away so I will think I will pass on that but thanks though. I was looking at Northern Tool and they have exhaust fans both types. The non explosion ones are not to expensive. I also planned on some type of filter and and either a exhaust hood or shutters on the outside of the house. How do you calculate CFM for this room? As for intake would a bathroom exhaust fan be enough?

BTW I will have plenty of lighting, 3 six bulb T8 high bay fluorescent. Have them in my garage I can land small aircraft with them

What I did for my shop was to use positive pressure - That is, I used a surplus "squirrel cage" fan from a AC blower unit and built a box to house it that was located inside the main woodworking area. The intake was filtered by an appropriate sized AC house filter, and the fan pressurized the finishing room. For the circulation exit (a.k.a. return), I ran the duct up into the attic, and terminated the duct just under a wind turbine.