Chip Collection for Shopsmith DC3300 Dust Collector

Waldvogel Review

I recently picked up a Shopsmith DC3300 Dust Collector (new generation) with the large 1-micron dust hood on a steal.

I tried my dust deputy (smaller clear one for shop vacs) and the suction drops too significantly because the cyclone unit is limited to 100-150cfm.

I want to build a chip collector, and already have a 30 gallon blue rigid plastic barrel with a snap-ring style lid that is nicely sealed. The existing hole where i had the dust deputy is in the center, and already around 3-3.5 inches or so.

Under the 3 way junction on the shopsmith, where the 3-2.5" ports meet,  is a hole around 4.5" directly in front of the impeller. I was thinking about removing it and installing a very short piece of 4" hose on a flange, meeting with the center of the blue barrel to maximize air movement between the barrel and the chip collector. My existing shop vac ducting is 2" and I wonder if installing a piece of 2" elbow on a 90 degree angle to the side of the barrel will help create that cyclone effect Ive seen on barrels that use the dust right-style system.

The CFM on the Shopsmith is 330. All of my tools use 2.5" ports on them (with the exception of the 4" on the lunchbox planer, and 1.25" on the miter saw port)

Do I ditch the ducting and make the chip collector and Shopsmith DC a single unit that gets attaches to each station, each time? I would assume this dust collector must work better for woodworking than my rigid shop vac system.

Before I get too far with this thread, I have to ask that people refrain from the unhelpful 'sell it and buy something better' comments if you feel the urge. I saw a few of those in other threads i visited before reaching out here.

Thoughts opinions?

With that setup every extra inch of hose is going to hurt, so moving it from machine to machine is good.

3 hours ago, Waldvogel Review said:

I would assume this dust collector must work better for woodworking than my rigid shop vac system.

Probably not. The Shopsmith is only 1/2 HP. The real HP of a large Ridgid vac is more like 3/4 - 1 HP. I have a large Ridgid vac & Dust Deputy that was my only dust collection (before I went Oneida) & it kept up with my 13" planer & 6" jointer.

11 minutes ago, drzaius said:

With that setup every extra inch of hose is going to hurt, so moving it from machine to machine is good.

Probably not. The Shopsmith is only 1/2 HP. The real HP of a large Ridgid vac is more like 3/4 - 1 HP. I have a large Ridgid vac & Dust Deputy that was my only dust collection (before I went Oneida) & it kept up with my 13" planer & 6" jointer.

My rigid shopvac worked great for all of these things in my garage individually. The Static pressure was higher, but the CFM was rated at 150 for the vac, and limited to that by the dust deputy. The suction on this shopsmith when used directly with a hose is very different than a shopvac. I can tell just by testing it that it moves dust differently with a 2.5 inch hose.

I know from researching it that HP is not everything, and neither are impeller diameter or CFM respectively. Its a combination of too many factors entirely lol

Perhaps keeping the dust collection mobile is the most practical. But how about presorting chip collection with this unit?

19 hours ago, drzaius said:

You could try a Thein baffle, but I don't know if they are any better than a cyclone for static loss & they definitely (as in lab tested) not nearly as good at separation.

Well I am not terrible concerned with all dust being captures, just mostly the chips. The dust collector itself has a 1 micron bag, so I anything that makes it passed the chip separator will go to the main dust collector. Its mostly for heavier planer\jointer chips

On 1/27/2017 at 1:51 PM, drzaius said:

Might want to consider a HEPA filter rather than a bag. It's the sub-micron stuff that is the most dangerous.

I have an ceiling mounted overhead dust filtration unit that can pickup anything that makes it passed the 1 micron bag. I also wear a respirator during just about any extended cutting operations. I suspect  I am pretty safe in this regard