Festool track saw disection

byegge

LOL watched a total of about 3 min here and there...what I gleaned...he is not a wood worker and he doesn't see anything special...well I am and I do. It works very well, end of story...I'm with Tom what a putz 

I'm still trying to figure out why a non woodworker would spend 28 min babbling on about this ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Because the video has over a million views. He has 400,000 fans of his trolling subscribed to his thread to watch him troll.

He makes over $115,000 a year making his videos.  That seems a good enough reason to me.

I find some of his videos quite interesting and most find his delivery either a love it or hate it thing.  In the second part of the TS55 teardown he discovers the reason behind the growl on startup, which most knew was a result of the speed control but Festool approached it in a much different fashion than I expected.  One thing I do like about AvE is he doesn't pretend to be the final authority on any subject and often discovers the true answers with collaboration from his followers.  He is indeed not a woodworker, actually hates it,  but I did learn quite a bit about the inside of a TS55 and have gathered a lot of insight from the videos I have watched.  

2 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

He's like Harbor Freight, one or two good nuggets buried in hours of video. 

Que?  He tends to be pretty skeptical of HF and Princess Auto stuff but occasionally finds some parts of HF tools to be well built but on the whole I don't think you can call him a fan.  

20 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Que?  He tends to be pretty skeptical of HF and Princess Auto stuff but occasionally finds some parts of HF tools to be well built but on the whole I don't think you can call him a fan.  

Not what he means.  He means the guy's video is pretty lackluster with a couple of good parts...just as Harbor Freight is pretty lackluster with a couple of good tools.

• Like 2

I've noticed (and I'm one of those 400,000) that he usually tries to balance expectation vs what he finds.   He might be a bit uncouth about it (and that's an understatement) but when he's tearing apart a tool, he has tried to compare what should have been done for the money vs what was done.  His HF reviews are quite scathing when you compare them to the others, but occasionally he'll end up praising some bargain tool because of the value in the purchase.  He usually clearly identifies what is usable for a hobbyist or a pro.   So when he's looking at a festool, he fully expects perfection, and clearly expresses his opinion when he doesn't.   Of course, those are just his opinions, who are we to question German engineering?  ;)

Have a caution ye Festoolians. Folks will think you are in a panic to justify the money you spent :D:D:D.

The only thing I glean from this guy is a good look at the innards. As to his purpose in life? Seems to be right up there with the snake oil salesmen and traveling healers . . . Claims to be helping others while really just satisfying his own needs.

• Like 1

Ha! I love AVE! His name is Chris and he is one funny shop talk guy. If you watch more of his tear downs the guy actually knows quite a bit about how tools and machines are put together. Something most woodworkers normally know little about. Which is why the comments about him not being a woodworker are weird, as tools are not engineered by woodworkers, they are designed by mechanical and electrical engineers and CAD designers and build by machinists who all work for a company that makes tools for woodworkers. So someone like this would be much closer to the the type of person that would know what acutally makes a quality tool.

6 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

Ha! I love AVE! His name is Chris and he is one funny shop talk guy. If you watch more of his tear downs the guy actually knows quite a bit about how tools and machines are put together. Something most woodworkers normally know little about. Which is why the comments about him not being a woodworker are weird, as tools are not engineered by woodworkers, they are designed by mechanical and electrical engineers and CAD designers and build by machinists who all work for a company that makes tools for woodworkers. So someone like this would be much closer to the the type of person that would know what acutally makes a quality tool.

You are correct I am about as far away from being an engineer as you can get...having said that I am a ww and to me quality means did the tool I purchased do what it was supposed to and meet my needs, personally if it does then its a win regardless of whats inside. Just not my deal but I guess its good for folks that find it interesting...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

You are correct I am about as far away from being an engineer as you can get...having said that I am a ww and to me quality means did the tool I purchased do what it was supposed to and meet my needs, personally if it does then its a win regardless of whats inside. Just not my deal but I guess its good for folks that find it interesting...

I gotcha, but using that criteria alone there are A LOT of products in every category that would meet your criteria.

I am an engineer, an electrical that dabbles in mechanical, machining and CAD design and I really like seeing and knowing about the magical stuff inside the things that I buy. Though I will admit it can be extremely frustrating at times to know how badly we are being over charged for things in this world sometimes, but then that extra 5-10% of quality/features never comes cheap with anything.

Unfortunately it also frustrates me when people jump all over to defend companies when things like this video come out just stating the facts. Now I own quite a bit of Festool products. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth. But that doesnt mean Im going to submit to complete fanboyism and wont admit that YES their stuff is stupidly overpriced. YES their build quality like any others could always be better for what we pay on many of their products. I just look at it like: hey, you got the coin and you want the best of the best overall (even if it might be only 10% better)? Go for it and enjoy! Thats how I roll.

• Like 1

My biggest gripe is he doesn't do direct comparisons and the number of videos he does.  With the money his patrons give him (right at 10K a month) I would think they would expect more.  If he spends 20 hours a week on videos thats over $100 an hour.  I would really have been interested in him tearing down a Mafell, Festool, Dewalt, Makita and say Grizzly tracksaw.  

PS maybe he could tear down a Kapex and we might get some insight into what the actual motor issue is...

I love AvE's channel and have been watching it for about 2 years.   It's so funny and I've learned a lot of strange things from it.  He's created a persona, and it's really interesting to watch the transformation especially if you go back and see some of his original videos.

Now you have to take what he says with a grain of salt, and often he's just trying to be funny.   But he does make a lot of interesting informed observations.   And when he's just flat out wrong, he's come back with a video to acknowledge it.   Not totally clear on his background, but it has something to do with the mining industry, and something to do with troubleshooting industrial equipment.  He's certainly traveled a lot, and despite his persona he's quite well educated.

As far as the Festool video, that was probably the most controversial and certainly generated the most comments.   He was looking at it as if to compare it to any other circular saw used on a job site.  He didn't look at the track saw precision or dust collection and as such I think he was kind of unfair.  I thought he made some interesting observations about the innards and how it could have been better built.

It's certainly different from the boring fanboy reviews you see on most other channels, where they get stuff sent by the manufacturer and they just talk about how wonderful it is.   That's the whole point of BOLTR, and you have to appreciate it for what it is.

• Like 1