Interior sliding door construction

jplemons

We were visiting some friends out of town and they had a contractor come over to give an estimate on building an interior door that rides on barn-door hardware to conceal a washer and dryer in their kitchen. The door sounds like basic shaker style frame and panel that would match their walnut cabinets. One thing that through me off was when the contractor said he would use 1 1/2" thick walnut for the frames -- made up of two 3/4" pieces because he can't get 1 1/2" thick walnut? I didn't say anything. He would also use 3/4" ply for the panel.

Another idea our friends had was that the panels be some sort of magnetic material, like stainless, so the could hang their kids' artwork up. The contractor said he would get back with his designer and do some drawings for some ideas. Base price for the nonmetal door is about $1800. 

I'm thinking I could do it for them and get some good experience out of it. 

Any thoughts on how to pull off a walnut-framed stainless steel panel door?

That's along the lines I was thinking. Use some 8/4 or so walnut for the frame and either MDF or 1/4 ply for the panel with a laminate of magnetic stainless. It sounds easier enough in theory, though I've never actually built a door, lol. I was thinking I could use my Domino for the joinery as well. 

You could build the door with 3/4"birch  ply and use 3/4" walnut to build the frame. Just rip some 1/8" x 1 5/8" strips to cover the edges. Barn doors hang from the top and really don't need the heavy stock frame that a swinging door needs. The stainless edges could be hidden by a slight rabbet in the walnut.

Don't know what you're planning on using for barn door hardware but the commercially produced versions are exceedingly over priced. You can build your own with ordinary hardware available at most hardware stores. There are some You Tube videos on line that show how it's done. I believe Steve Carmichael has done one and so has Chris Notap. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1