$650-ish Shopping Spree

Seth Clayton

So I was given the option of a Festool MFT for xmas. I say option, because I could swap something of similar value as the gift. What would you guys do with around $650 if your shop was equipped as follows:

Dewalt job site table saw

Bosch router with homemade (moderately useful) table and fence

12" dewalt miter saw

Dewalt lunchbox planer

10" rikon bandsaw

Small drill press

I work with a ton of plywood, and am also getting ready for slowly remodeling our horse stables.

I was leaning towards a smart table of some sort to make breaking my sheet goods down easier. Unfortunately, the MFT can't crosscut a 48" wide sheet. EurekaZone makes an awesome table, but they're $800ish. Would a really good track saw make a little more sense? Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I am missing something, but an MFT is basically useless without a festool tracksaw. $650 gets you the table, but you will need another $700 to before you can cut anything :)  

I'd upgrade the tablesaw.  Grizzly has a nice cabinet style saw for under or around $1000.  I think @TIODS and @Eric. have it (or similarly priced grizz). 

The EurekaZone table can accept a pretty wide array of different saws. As accurate as a true track saw? Not quite, but handy in its own right. I could make up the $150 difference to get up to $800. That's why I'm thinking of going with the track saw first. If I felt the need for the table to go with it, I could make that leap later. I don't want to upgrade my TS until I can afford one another step up from a grizzly. I'm planning on making an outfeed table to integrate with the TS at the end of the winter, so I should be able to survive with the dewalt a little while longer.

No...but I don't think I want to take the half step in the jointer game. I don't NEED the jointer yet, so I think I'll save up for a larger scale one than $650 can buy

A decent one can be had for 650. Even better if you go for a used one. If it were me I wouldn't buy anything else until I had a jointer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A few of us here have grizzly 6" jointer. I'd rather have that than nothing.

If you are really only working sheet goods though, I guess that's a different story. I would definitely want a track saw first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mostly sheet goods, yes. Any dimensioning of rough stuff that I'll need to do in the near future won't require ultra precision.

Down payment on a jointer.  Keep saving and buy the best one you can buy.  Good jointers are finicky...cheap jointers are a nightmare.

Fundamentals come first, then conveniences.  Festools are all conveniences.  All of them.

You'll want to graduate away from those sheet goods into real woodworking eventually.  :)

• Like 1

+1 for upgrading the table saw. Two years ago I upgraded from a job site table saw to a Ridgid R4512 and that was the right move for my workload. I don't have a jointer yet because 

1. I cut a lot of sheet goods and jointers aren't useful for that
  2. I have a local friend with a jointer and I can bring lumber to his garage when I need to use it

Even if sheet goods isn't real woodworking (spoken in jest), you would still need a better table saw when you graduate to mahogany, walnut, and other "real" wood. A jointer helps you then but doesn't do anything for you now. A table saw helps you now and will still be helpful in the future.

-E

I may be in the minority here, but I own an MFT3 and I dont think i would suggest one to an in-home shop. I bought mine off craigslist for a discount and then sold the fence and protractor for $120, which made it work well for me. However, if i had the space and faced with buying new, i would go the bare top route or have a local cnc shop fabricate a 4'x8' sheet for me. Once you have the perfect grid, the QWAS system kicks butt. With the bare top, a rail or two, and a set of qwas dogs and rail dogs you are much better off than the MFT3. Things to consider when purchasing an MFT3

• Do you need the portability?
  • Do you have an accurate square to calibrate the fence and tilting rail?
  • Do you find yourself routinely cutting non 45°/90° angles on wide stock?

• Like 1

I may be in the minority here, but I own an MFT3 and I dont think i would suggest one to an in-home shop. I bought mine off craigslist for a discount and then sold the fence and protractor for $120, which made it work well for me. However, if i had the space and faced with buying new, i would go the bare top route or have a local cnc shop fabricate a 4'x8' sheet for me. Once you have the perfect grid, the QWAS system kicks butt. With the bare top, a rail or two, and a set of qwas dogs and rail dogs you are much better off than the MFT3. Things to consider when purchasing an MFT3

• Do you need the portability?
  • Do you have an accurate square to calibrate the fence and tilting rail?
  • Do you find yourself routinely cutting non 45°/90° angles on wide stock?

Great points! I do not need portability, I don't have a square better than what you can get at lowes, and I'm pretty much only doing 90* and 45* cuts 8" wide max.

I'm feeling more and more confident in the track saw. I'm building a big setup table that will double as outfeed for my table saw, effectively stretching the capabilities of the jobsite saw. I don't want to buy a new table saw until I can afford a sawstop or PM, and same goes for the jointer. I work with sheet goods almost exclusively, and any dimensioning of rough lumber does not require the accuracy of a jointer yet (and won't for a while).

When I get to it, I'd love to hear more about getting a 4'x8' sheet cnc'd. That would satisfy what I want the smart table for beautifully!

Thanks for all the input from everyone!!

I have no affiliation with this guy, and im only posting the link as an example.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/5979626641.html

I think you will find one person in each metro area that is making custom MFT tops with their CNCs. The beauty of the MFT is within the accuracy of the grid system. Look up halfinchshy and his review of qwas products. Unfortunately, just getting a festool track saw wont solve all your problems. If you only have a home center square, how will you make square cuts with the track saw? You need an accurate square to line up the rail accurately, OR you need a perfect grid system with a rail and qwas dogs. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

I have no affiliation with this guy, and im only posting the link as an example.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/5979626641.html

I think you will find one person in each metro area that is making custom MFT tops with their CNCs. The beauty of the MFT is within the accuracy of the grid system. Look up halfinchshy and his review of qwas products. Unfortunately, just getting a festool track saw wont solve all your problems. If you only have a home center square, how will you make square cuts with the track saw? You need an accurate square to line up the rail accurately, OR you need a perfect grid system with a rail and qwas dogs. 

I have looked in my area and not found one of these guys, haha. Looks like a way to save a few bucks compared to the replacement mft top, if they are accurate enough.

9 hours ago, Seth Clayton said:

When I get to it, I'd love to hear more about getting a 4'x8' sheet cnc'd. That would satisfy what I want the smart table for beautifully!

Thanks for all the input from everyone!!

There are multiple ways to get an accurate MFT like 96mm x 20mm grid top, my favorite vs a CNC cut top is the UJK Parf Guide System that is now available through Lee Valley.  It allows you to make any size top you want and would be a great way to augment the top of an outfeed table.  Keep in mind once you have the guides you can use a router with the guides as well.  

26 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

There are multiple ways to get an accurate MFT like 96mm x 20mm grid top, my favorite vs a CNC cut top is the UJK Parf Guide System that is now available through Lee Valley.  It allows you to make any size top you want and would be a great way to augment the top of an outfeed table.  Keep in mind once you have the guides you can use a router with the guides as well.  

Doesn't seem to be available in the US, as far as I can tell...can you share a link?

Edit: nevermind I found it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=75354&cat=1,41637

33 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Doesn't seem to be available in the US, as far as I can tell...can you share a link?

Edit: nevermind I found it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=75354&cat=1,41637

Lee Valley just added it to their catalog in the last week, prior to that people bought them from Axminster in the UK, depending on the exchange rate at the time it can still be cheaper from Axminster if you can wait a few extra days (roughly 10 days from the UK).  Peter has done a series of videos on the system including a 4 cut to show the accuracy of the system.  

This is the basic overview.