Marking Gauge

Nyles

Greetings,

I have been wanting to pick up a marking gauge to use for layout and to help with tear out.  However i just have never pulled the trigger on purchasing one yet.

I see that woodcraft has this one for sale and appears to be what i am after as far as a cutting one vs  scribing one (knife vs pin).

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/crown-rosewood-and-brass-cutting-gauge-143w

Anyone have any insight as to the performance of this little guy? or have a better suggestion?

I also saw this other one on the site, wasn't sure if this one was better? This ones made in china and the other is made in england? Very few reviews on both on the site....

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rosewood-cutting-gauge

Looking to pull the trigger next week, so any insight is appreciated.

cuttinggauge.JPG

Well its not in the same price range, but after going back and forth for a while I decided to go with a more modern option and just ordered the Jessem: LINK. Hasnt arrived yet but if I if I like it even half as much as I love my other Jessem products Ill be very happy I bought it.

I have the Crown cutting gauge. I like it a lot.

I use it for taming tear-out, not so much for regular every day marking. I like to have three or four gauges so I can keep critical settings for long periods of time, so one of them can be a cutting gauge. But if it was going to be my only gauge for a while I would get  a wheel gauge like a lot of people already said.

• Like 1