First Furniture Project, Nightstand

MattF

20 minutes ago, Llama said:

What's the furry thing hanging on the wall in the first pic? 

It's the shop mascot. Something someone gave me years ago. When you lift his beard something plops down. That's as much as I can say with this being a family friendly forum.

Nice job.  Overall I like it.  It is nice to see a beginner (I am inferring from your "first time" comments that you are a beginner) doing something other than puke-looking rustic barnwood stuff.  

I need two make a two speaker stands for my 2 channel set up - I might use this design as a starting point.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Nice job.  Overall I like it.  It is nice to see a beginner (I am inferring from your "first time" comments that you are a beginner) doing something other than puke-looking rustic barnwood stuff.  

I need two make a two speaker stands for my 2 channel set up - I might use this design as a starting point.

Thanks. I am not really a beginner woodworker, been around it all my life and have done other projects. This is my first project that I consider furniture, which is the direction I would like to focus on. 

I am not opposed to rustic farmhouse furniture, it has its place. It is being way over used right now IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Nicely done!

I wish I had had all your tools back in time when I built my first piece of furniture, a medicine cabinet. All I had was a jigsaw and a router LOL.

Thank you.

I have collected my tools over a very long time, and they have been used for various projects. There has also been times where they sat dormant due to no shop space. We  purchased our first house less than a year ago and now have a dedicated shop space. I dont know if I would consider that table "Fine" furniture, but thats the discipline I am focusing on now. 

• Like 1

Just now, legenddc said:

Looks awesome. Makes me want to make one. Don't think my 2 year old would be much help sanding.

Not to get off topic, but did you add a router table in your table saw? Any pics of it? I have the same saw and want to add one.

I did ad a router table to table saw extension. I do not have any pictures right now, but will get you a couple later. 

1 hour ago, arbiterr said:

That is some very clean wood work. May I ask how you cut such a perfect circle? 

51 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

I'd guess with a router and a jig similar to this. Though I think you can make one for a jig saw as well.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-circle-cutting-jig

You can make one with some scrap mdf or plywood if you wanted.

Cool table, the contrast really makes the paduak  stand out.

I made what was linked above real quick out of 1/2" plywood. Grabbed a couple .125" alloy steel dowel pins from work and pressed one into an undersized hole as my pivot point. 

I will make a better and adjustable one for the next project that calls for it. Probably do it out of acrylic or aluminum and mill on the CNC at work.

• Like 1