It Ain't Pretty

Coop

My first project using a sprayer, shellac and GF HP. I wet down several pieces of cardboard and several pieces of scrap wood. I guess I should have practiced on larger pieces of scrap wood? And I could probably come up with several other excuses that would make me feel faultless but I won't. I sprayed this with dewaxed garnet shellac and after spraying all of the pieces, I saw that I had runs and blotches on several of these panels. After it was good and dried, I sanded with 400 to what I thought looked pretty even colorwise, until I sprayed it with the top coat. Sure made it "POP". Are there any suggestions other than putting this side real close to a wall:(

IMG_0245.JPG

With something tinted like the garnet shellac spray thinner coats and build the color in layers. On large surfaces I spray a cross hatch pattern, length wise one pass then follow with a side to side pass. Shellac dries so fast that 2 thin coats shouldn't sag or run.

Have fun with the scraper ! Hard learned lessons really stick with you !

• Like 1

I also use the 1.0mm tip for shellac with a 2# cut. Even a 2# is pretty thin viscosity wise and you have to move fast or turn down the fluid knob. Looking at the run pattern my guess is you sprayed that horizontally? That might be better to spray vertically or like Steve said do both with thin coats. 

This is me spraying a waterborne top coat and I go even faster with shellac. When I sprayed shellac on this I started with the hidden side first and noticed a few runs and picked up the pace on the front. 

Instead of sanding you could try a rag dipped in DNA and try work the run areas. I've done that before and got it to redissolve and blend in. 

• Like 1

If this were me, I would chemical strip and start over. Coop, ya need to spray in a raking light so you can see a little better. Do you have a ceiling fluorescent light you can stand along the piece while you spray?

Spray the shellac in thin light coats and build up to your color. Thin the shellac down a little and add more coats to build color. As wdwerker suggested, spray cross-hatch, that will help to even things. The shellac is to give the piece color so don't worry that you have to have full wet coats, the goal is "even" color. If ya get a little dry spray, you can always block sand with 600 to smooth, but you need to have a few coats down to give you something to sand without cutting down to the wood. 

-Ace-

Thanks guys. This is one end of one of three boxes (Barrister Bookcase) and due to room restraints, I sprayed outside and this part was vertical. I started out by spraying the back first and noticed that it dried almost instantly. I think after that, I just got into a hurry, trying to get it out of the gun before it dried in there:wacko:. I stayed up until midnight last night with a card scraper and took each cherry panel down to the wood. As I need to apply 2-3 more coats of the GF HP to all of the case and I think I will take Steve's advice and eliminate the shellac on the panels and just apply the sealer. Thanks again for your replies.

I would have missed out the shellac and gone for GF Enduro Var instead. I finf that shellac under waterbourne does nothing apart from color. Enduro Var gives a similar amber glow to shellac and then you could put the HP over the top. Alternatively just do it completely in Enduro Var.

I still haven't ordered the glass yet. Up until today, I wasn't sure if it was fireplace or bookcase;)

19 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Looks great, when do we get to see more than that one panel???

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I took the glass out of the door and the edges aren't smooth and it's 3/16" thick. Here it is, back in the door. Unfortunately, it's not wide enough for me to us the hand and wording which I thought would have been cool. It will have to be cut long ways.

IMG_0248.JPG