coffee tree vs honey locust

phinds

I have seen both in person and they are very similar. The trees look similar too.  

I have some coffee tree, if you need some I can send it monday.  

One more reason eric stays away from cletus wood.  

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I have seen both in person and they are very similar. The trees look similar too.  

I have some coffee tree, if you need some I can send it monday.  

One more reason eric stays away from cletus wood.  

That would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, Paul...finally got around to resolving this.

Craig called the supplier and they confirmed that it was totally plausible that there could be honey locust mixed in with the coffeebean.  They said that they rarely receive locust trees but when they do, they get shuffled in with the coffee because they are so similar.  Just like you can often find pecan in the hickory stacks.

So there ya go...if you're convinced it's honey locust, chances are you're right.

Paul - I have a coffee tree board sitting in my car.  I will send it to you soon.  Sorry for the delay.  Chicago post offices are basically one giant welfare line.  It typically takes an hour to get through the line so I tend to procrastinate.   

I bought it from a small mill.  The sawyer tends to know his stuff so I'd be surprised if it isn't coffee tree, but we shall see.  

Just now, phinds said:

Thanks Mike. Hey, have you tried just using the USPS on-line labeling service and getting the P.O. to pick it up at your house? That's all I ever do any more. It's great. No trips to the P.O. for me for years now.

Do they still drop off the flat rate boxes for free as well?

6 minutes ago, phinds said:

Thanks Mike. Hey, have you tried just using the USPS on-line labeling service and getting the P.O. to pick it up at your house? That's all I ever do any more. It's great. No trips to the P.O. for me for years now.

cool, I will do that.  

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Paul - I have a coffee tree board sitting in my car.  I will send it to you soon.  Sorry for the delay.  Chicago post offices are basically one giant welfare line.  It typically takes an hour to get through the line so I tend to procrastinate.  

Print label, stuff wood in envelope, put in mailbox.  You can do it through paypal or through USPS.  No leper colony necessary.

8 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Print label, stuff wood in envelope, put in mailbox.  You can do it through paypal or through USPS.  No leper colony necessary.

Eric, I think maybe what you mean is you can do it through PayPal or just with a credit card. Whatever payment method is used, it's always going through USPS, not just PayPal.

Eric, I think maybe what you mean is you can do it through PayPal or just with a credit card. Whatever payment method is used, it's always going through USPS, not just PayPal.

You can print shipping labels through PayPal as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Eric. said:

You can print shipping labels through PayPal as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'll be damned. Didn't know that. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Filling out forms and mailing things are difficult for me.  Makes no sense, but I have zero administrative skill.  

Well, in that case, you will like my favorite cartoon in the whole world, ever:

Hagar no paperwork.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, estesbubba said:

We have a lot of honey locust trees on our property and they are some thorny bastards!

newer cultivars don't have the thorns.  My subdivision was planted with honey locust, maple and ash when it was developed in the early 1980s.  The honey locust don't have thorns.  The ash all are dead and have been removed, which is too bad because trees don't really look like trees until they are about 30 years old.  

16 minutes ago, Mike. said:

newer cultivars don't have the thorns.  My subdivision was planted with honey locust, maple and ash when it was developed in the early 1980s.  The honey locust don't have thorns.  The ash all are dead and have been removed, which is too bad because trees don't really look like trees until they are about 30 years old.  

These are all native locust trees mostly growing along the stream and they are covered in thorns. I think the saplings come out of the ground thorn first :( Of the hundreds of trees on our property, only 3 were planted, and they are all ash and the EAB was discovered in the area last summer. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mike. said:

@phinds sorry for the delay, I have been off on another viking conquest.   I will drop these in the mail tomorrow, unless you tell me these are also honey locust :)

Can't be 100% sure but I'd bet money that that's honey locust. The 2nd face grain looks EXACTLY like honey locust, not much like coffee tree, and the latewood confluent parenchyma clearly starts almost immediately and it doesn't do that in coffee tree.

The one in the first face grain shot could be coffee tree if it's not the one in the end grain shot.

2 hours ago, Merlau said:

paul are you up for identifying a piece of late 1700 to early 1800 door frame. its hard and heavy real dark color i have a cross section but no face grain

I'm always interested in trying to ID woods. I'm confused though. How can you have a cross section and no face grain? Do you mean you just have a picture of it?

Mike,

Got the pieces. Definitely honey locust based on color (more red than brown), density (46+ lbs/cuft), face grain swirl, and most importantly the end grain characteristics. You made such a nice clean cut (wish I had your saw blade) that I don't even need to do my end grain processing. Here are a couple of pics just so you can compare it to what I show in the link. These are the same 1/4" x 1/4" cross section shown there and you can clearly see how the confluent parenchyma starts very early in the latewood, which it often does in honey locust and never does in coffee tree

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_coffee tree vs honey locust/

1.jpg2.jpg