Use of vertical space in a basement shop

bbarry9999

Hello all.

My shop is in my unfinished basement and I'd like to to use the vertical space (block walls) to mount some ply or peg boards to store clamps, hand tools etc.....   nothing too heavy.  I know I can screw furring strips to the wall and mount the sheets to them.  However my basement has been bone dry for 19 years and I'm hesitant to drill into the floor or walls.  Any suggestions on ways to use my wall space?  I've considered bolting 2x4s to the overhead joist, hanging them vertically, and screwing plywood to that. 

Thanks for help

Bill

Building a wall in front of the block wall is a good option.  However if you drilled into the block wall, I doubt you would create a leak.  The block wall is probably 8" thick.  If you wanted extra piece of mine, you could always shoot epoxy (or something specific) into the predrilled holes.

If your wall's gonna leak, it'll leak. Nothing you do to the inside surface will make it leak more or less. It's on the outside surface of the foundation that makes the difference between leaking & not leaking.

Furring strips & ply sounds like a good idea, but if you are anywhere that gets chilly, put some insulation between the ply & block walls.

• Like 1

Remember that concrete itself is extremely porous, it doesn't block water. Any exterior water is dealt with by good drainage, and sometimes a sealant applied to the outside of the wall. You won't do any harm drilling a couple inches into your wall. If you are really paranoid about it, you could probably get away with just construction adhesive. Alternatively, there are specific foam-sheet products that are designed to be a one stop wall solution. You glue them up and they have built-in ties that act like studs. I think that's an expensive option with little ROI over regular rigid foam and a traditional wall.

Option 1:  Furring strips to concrete or block wall using Tapcon screws (pilot hole required).  Get the larger diameter (5/16" ?) so they don't break off when you tighten them. If your basement is concrete it is probably 8" thick. You will only be drill about and inch or so.  If the walls are concrete block they are hollow with a 1 1 /4" to 1 1/2" face inside and out.  A 1 " hole or so is fine.

Option 2: Glue furring strips to wall with construction adhesive.  Comes in a caulking tube.  Not so easy to remove later.

Option 3:  Build stud wall inside the block wall (leave 1/4" gap ) Drill and screw botttom plate of wall floor and nail or screw top plate to lfoor joists above.  You could build this wall with the studs flat to minimze the space you lose but it will seem a little flexible and flimsy that way.

Option 4:  Hang from above.  You will need to brace it to something to keep it from swaying.

I like #1 because its all removable.

• Like 1