Thick Veneer / Veneer rules

Isaac

Just for the heck of it, when buying lumber the other day, I purchased some pieces of Mahogany. I've never worked with it and thought I'd like to try it out. Of course it was expensive. They are a series of pieces approximately 1"x4"x25" long or so. They could make good drawer fronts. I was thinking, to be more economical in my use of the material, I could re-saw them into veneer pieces. I've never actually done a veneering project. If I did resaw them, say into 1/4" thick pieces and glued them to a backer of a cheaper wood, or perhaps plywood, would I have to double side that backer with something else to keep things balanced?

Early stages here, I'll probably sit on this wood awhile until the right project strikes me, but just want to consider my options and plan accordingly. Suggestions along the lines above for stretching the distance this material goes would be appreciated.

I have done just a little shop made veneer.  1/8" thick white oak on poplar with grains going the same direction on a curved table apron.  I used Tite Bond original and an Iron.  Worked well.  The other is in my shop now, a small (10 x 10 table top.  Used contact cement and the veneer is 1/16" maple.  Its been glued for 2 days now and is still holding up.  Drums sander is really handy for stuff that thin.

For small pieces I would not think that putting a backer on the piece is necessary.  See what the other guys say since my experience is limited.

Anything bigger than a couple sq ft should probably be balanced construction. So if you put 1/8 veneer on the face do the same to the back. The back can be cheaper material but it should be similar strength to the face. 

Balanced construction is always an odd number of layers. All plywood is 7,9, 11,13 plies etc etc. 

1/8 to 3/16 is a little easier to achieve if you don't have a drum sander. It's fairly common to use the same material as the sides and through dovetails to make a drawer, then glue a a layer to the front to match the rest of the piece.  Makes it look like you did half blind dovetails. I've never heard of anyone gluing a piece to the back.