Turning a good burr

rodger.

I have sharpened card scrapers and turned a burr a few different ways, including using the nifty Veritas jig.

Last night I was noodling around in the shop, and decided to go Free hand turning the burr.  I prepped the card as usual (filing to 90, honing the sides on 1000/8000 stones, thinning the steel).  

Normally, I clamp the card in the vise and turn the burr using a rod.  This time I just held it in my other hand and burnished it.  Works really well, and is much faster!  It speeds up the process greatly!

• Like 1

Great!  I still struggle with consistency.  I have been burnishing the sides with 2 firms strokes with the card flat on the edge of a workbench and then turn the burr with one firm stroke on the edge in the vise. 

Did you burnish the flat side before turning the burr in you hand?

How many strokes on the edge while holding it in your hand.?

Do you find that the final burr is very noticeable (large) to the touch or just barely noticeable (small)?

27 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Great!  I still struggle with consistency.  I have been burnishing the sides with 2 firms strokes with the card flat on the edge of a workbench and then turn the burr with one firm stroke on the edge in the vise. 

Did you burnish the flat side before turning the burr in you hand?

How many strokes on the edge while holding it in your hand.?

Do you find that the final burr is very noticeable (large) to the touch or just barely noticeable (small)?

After the wet stones, I lay the card flat on the bench, and then run the burnisher 3 or 4 times to thin the steel and prep it for a burr.

Then I hold the card in my left hand, and run the burnisher to roll the burr.  I took about 3 strokes per burr, so one card with 4 burrs would take 12 strokes or so.

The burr is noticeable when I run my fingers nails over the card.  If it's not pronounced enough, I give it another pass with the burnisher.

Of course, the real test is to take some shavings.

After the burr is pretty much used up, you can run the rod to reestablish the burr again without flattening and sharpening again.  After the second use, it's time to head back to the file and stones.

Here is a good video