cherry TV stand/cabinet

treeslayer

You've seen my stuff so you know I enjoy the use of sapwood as a design element.  Well done.  Simple, strong, clean lines give it a stout visual posture while the carcass clearance at the floor level avoids the "growing out of the floor" look that I fear my pieces sometimes have.

If you insist on nit-picking; The cathedral arches on the right door could have been more centered and the rail and stile material could have been more straight-grained in order to focus attention on the door panels. 

I do not always accomplish or abide by these things myself.  I have a few pieces out there where I strayed pretty far from the path.  If the overall look makes me happy, I color outside the lines without regret. 

I'd put that piece in my own living room and be glad to have it.  Again, well done.  I too am curious about what you used for coloring the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheperd80 said:

How did you do the breadboard top?

breadboard top is tongue and groove, router and table saw, VERY little glue, screwed in, oversized holes, filled with walnut plugs.

1 hour ago, gee-dub said:

I too am curious about what you used for coloring the top.

well forgive me for i have sinned, i stained it with dark walnut stain, the wood i had for the top was all the walnut i had on hand and the colors of the boards didn't match worth a damn, so i closed my eyes shut off my brain and stained it, my apologies too all, and thanks for the great comments to all.

2 hours ago, RichardA said:

You can pay the shipping.

thats not a good deal Rick, that little thing is heavy, shipping would kill my wife's checkbook and i need money for the next project.

• Like 1

Hey Dave the stain doesn't completely obscure the grain on the top and you didn't besmirch the cherry with any adulterants so we can skip the exorcism ! I really like the overall affect using the heart/sapwood mix and that's what really counts. If you focus on any one spot to nitpick you can find flaws in anyone's project . I too would be glad to put your piece in my home.

Sign it and date it !

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Dave, did you brush or wipe your ARS? Oppps, that just doesn't sound right:(

thanks Coop, i always (almost) brush my ARS with a foam brush, everything else gets wiped:o

14 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Sign it and date it !

thanks for the great comments Steve, i always brand my name and date so myself and future generations of my family know when i built it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well done, and i too like cherry natural when i can.. the joinery shows strength threw out. made to last!  i am new here so just a quick observation on the panels, i think if you had reversed the right one you would have mirrored the other side more.. and i think you done well with the sapwood on the project..  for me i like to lay the parts out dry and not fully machined to get a look at it, to help in the choice of which piece and where to position the parts. once again well done.