finshing inside a case

dflan004

I just finished a changing table/small dresser.   the outside it painted (thats what the wife wanted). I'm not going to paint in the inside of the case or the inside and outside of the drawers.   Its made of Baltic birch plywood.  do i need to do any kind of finish inside the case and all the other unpainted parts to protect the wood? 

thanks

4 hours ago, Ronn W said:

The inside of the drawers for cleanability.  Shellac or arm-R seal.  But those inisde areas that will never be seen or touched, I would leave them bare.

Why would you not seal every piece of wood you can, to avoid moisture absorption? Leaving wood bare invites swelling, checking, cupping and other movements.

• Like 2

I look at some of the old pieces of furniture like side boards, chests of drawers and my favorite old wood 4 drawer filing cabinet that are panel construction and they are bare wood on the inside and have lasted 50 to 75 years without ill effect.  I think, that for construction like table tops and sides or backs that are solid wood, it would be a good idea to seal the inside or the underside as the case may be.  But I don't think it is necessary for panel construction or for plywood as Dflan is using.  I take no issue with those who prefer to seal every piece of wood they can if they so choose. 

• Like 1