Scratches on stained bar top

Kothekid19

I'm building a breakfast bar for a friend and went with a burnt yellow pine for the top. I sanded, Prestained and then stained.  When I stained I found that there were some scratches still remaining from the sanding that are more visible with the stain. What's the best way to get rid of the scratches without damaging the wood or causing issues with the next stain coat? 

I had first used a belt sander to knock down any edges at the connecting points of the boards then I used a 80 grit orbital and went from there to a sanding sponge now after staining I see scratches still remaining that were left from the belt sander.

I had first used a belt sander to knock down any edges at the connecting points of the boards then I used a 80 grit orbital and went from there to a sanding sponge now after staining I see scratches still remaining that were left from the belt sander.

80 grit on an orbital is going to leave some deep scratching. You need to follow that with a random orbit sander, or hand sanding with the grain. I'd go 80, 120 & the 180. Make sure you remove all the scratching from the previous grit before moving on to the next grit.