New to DIY - Tool advice

DIY Guy

I'm planning on taking on some projects around the house and new to DIY.  Projects include building a built in closet, building a new bathroom vanity and storage, building desk furniture with storage, and some trim work.  I currently own a 12 inch DeWalt sliding compound miter saw and some drills and basic tools.  I have a older 10 inch Craftsman table saw that was given to me as well.  I'm looking to invest in some woodworking tools like a Grizzly track saw, band saw, drill press, and router (with router table).  I work out of my basement as i have no garage.  I can get a 10x10 area to work in and need some help picking tools and size of tools.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  

Tools I was looking at:

Grizzly Track Saw kit

Grizzly Drill Press (not sure what size to get for home DIY)

Grizzly Band Saw (9 inch good enough or need a 14 inch?)

DeWalt 2 1/4 router with fixed and plunge base kit

Router table?  Do I build one with an insert or buy a table package like the ones from Kreg or Rockler?

Space is my concern and would like to keep this within a $1500 budget if possible.  

I'm realizing the space is an issue as well.  I'm hoping to get tools that will give me good results but can store away as I don't have a space to setup a permanent wood shop.  If anyone as alternatives to the tools listed that will work with good results, I'm open to all suggestions.  

Thanks

Someone recently posted a link to a Tom Silvia episode where he set up a shop for a lady with a small area but don't remember where it was posted. He had some darn good ideas. Good luck to you OP and I hope this takes you down the road to continued woodworking. It's really a neat hobby! And welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress.

8 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

It depends on the projects of course, but I would prioritize a drill press fairly low for most diy or furniture projects. I would get the 14" bandsaw too... The little ones are finicky.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was considering this bandsaw:

Grizzly G0555LX

Do you recommend the track saw or should I invest in a better table saw?  

Personally, as you already have a ts, kinda, and with your limited space, I would go with the bs you mentioned, as well as with a track saw. These will greatly increase your capibilities. Later, if you're still chasing this rabbit, you can upgrade your ts.

3 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Personally, as you already have a ts, kinda, and with your limited space, I would go with the bs you mentioned, as well as with a track saw. These will greatly increase your capibilities. Later, if you're still chasing this rabbit, you can upgrade your ts.

How about router and router table setup?  Do you recommed that?  If so, do you recommend a router table like the Rockler setups or make your own better?  

A router, imo, is sweet but not an absolute necessity, although I have four of them and others, twice that many:(. It depends on what you have left over from your budget. I built my table and it ain't fancy but fills the bill. And then, there's router bits! See, this hole doesn't have a bottom but it's a fun fall!

• Like 2

I was considering this bandsaw:

Grizzly G0555LX

Do you recommend the track saw or should I invest in a better table saw?  

I have that bandsaw, it's working well for me. I think if you're staying in that 5-600 range it's the best bang for your buck.

I like having a track saw, I have the makita, got a refurb from Amazon for fairly cheap. Never used the grizzly, can't imagine it's as good as the makita, but it depends on what you want it to do... If all you want it for is to break sheet goods into smaller pieces it will probably do that fine. If you want nice finish cuts I would consider the makita. Just my 2 cents.

8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

A router, imo, is sweet but not an absolute necessity, although I have four of them and others, twice that many:(. It depends on what you have left over from your budget. I built my table and it ain't fancy but fills the bill. And then, there's router bits! See, this hole doesn't have a bottom but it's a fun fall!

I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432

with the DeWalt DW618PK router. 

Or going the route of one of those compact Ron Paulk workbenches with built in router plate.

Is it possible to use a router to drill out 20mm holes for bench dogs?  I guess, is it possible to use the plunge router to drill holes?

3 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I have that bandsaw, it's working well for me. I think if you're staying in that 5-600 range it's the best bang for your buck.

I like having a track saw, I have the makita, got a refurb from Amazon for fairly cheap. Never used the grizzly, can't imagine it's as good as the makita, but it depends on what you want it to do... If all you want it for is to break sheet goods into smaller pieces it will probably do that fine. If you want nice finish cuts I would consider the makita. Just my 2 cents.

I like the Makita but it was double the price of the Grizzly.  I was thinking with the savings, I can invest in a better Freud blade for finish cuts.

12 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

It's possible but impractible. A cordless drill with a forstner bit would be my choice. Bench dogs? As in workbench? That is gonna be tight confines! Try and find that Tom Silva video. I guess it's doable? 

Yes, Ron Paulk has a plan available for a 3x6 workbench.  The 10x10 is the general area I have available.  I have some more available in the basement but it's a multi functional space so I try and keep everything in that 10x10 area. Figured with Paulks workbench, I can stand it up against a wall when not in use.

• Like 1

The downside to Paulk's bench is discipline.  All those cubbys make great storage space and can easily fill up.  Now when you go to move it, you gotta find a home for all that stuff.    A lot of people like the Paulk, and if you can keep it clean, seems like it might fit you well.  Me, I'm not that disciplined. 

Look into the "flipping top" stands for some of the tools.  You can get twice the tool in the same space.  If you are open to building your own router table, maybe making it a flip top with the mitre saw will save you some space.  Or do like a lot people do and build a small portable router table that can be stashed someplace when not in use.  

3 hours ago, DIY Guy said:

I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432

with the DeWalt DW618PK router. 

Or going the route of one of those compact Ron Paulk workbenches with built in router plate.

Is it possible to use a router to drill out 20mm holes for bench dogs?  I guess, is it possible to use the plunge router to drill holes?

I like the Makita but it was double the price of the Grizzly.  I was thinking with the savings, I can invest in a better Freud blade for finish cuts.

Yeah...it's a little cheaper if you buy a re-packaged or refurb model from amazon for only $335 (which I have had good luck with): 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CHN6L74/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1486534104&sr=8-1&keywords=makita+track+saw&condition=used

Here is a good review from Marc about the grizzly track saw to see if it will meet your needs/expectations:  http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/grizzly-track-saw-review/

As for the bench dog holes, yes you can drill them out with a drill guide or a use a plunge router...it is hard to be accurate on the hole placement, which is nice if done correctly....if all you care about is have a few holes here and there it's easy though.

3 hours ago, Chet K said:

You might want to look at something like this for a router table because of your space constraints.

Oh yeah, duh!   My Craftsman TS has a Router table wing extension.  Sadly the router that's in it only has a 1/8" collet, and the height adjustment knob is kinda broken.  And my new router doesn't line up with any the holes.  So if you're getting a craftsman router extension, make sure your router fits. 

I'd move up to the 14" BS...much more capable.  I'd also skip the miter saw and use your TS for crosscutting...get a decent miter gauge and.or build a crosscut sled....it'll be more accurate on all but very long pieces.  Build a router table into the wing of the TS to save some space.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Someone recently posted a link to a Tom Silvia episode where he set up a shop for a lady with a small area but don't remember where it was posted. He had some darn good ideas. Good luck to you OP and I hope this takes you down the road to continued woodworking. It's really a neat hobby! And welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress.

Yes it was me. Have a look at this @DIY Guy

7 hours ago, Chuck Morris said:

I have a small basement shop as well, even less than your 10x10. I built a Ron Paulk styled table and built in a table saw and router. Even added dust collection. 

As my main hobby is speaker building, a drill press is more of an asset than a band saw at this point. 

I would love to have a track saw, but as I can only get 4x4 sheets into my shop, i simply use a shop made straight edge from ply and an aluminum rail. 

20170103_212611.jpg

20170107_183424.jpg

20170107_193457.jpg

20170121_153501.jpg

20170121_153609.jpg

What size bench did you make?  Since I was going to get a circular saw, I came across the track saw.  I like the option of dust collector that the circular saw doesn't have.  

4 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

Oh yeah, duh!   My Craftsman TS has a Router table wing extension.  Sadly the router that's in it only has a 1/8" collet, and the height adjustment knob is kinda broken.  And my new router doesn't line up with any the holes.  So if you're getting a craftsman router extension, make sure your router fits. 

My Craftsman TS had no extension.  Just a small job site 10 inch.  One of my options was to get a better TS or go the track saw route since I already have a miter saw for majority of my cross cut needs.  

1 hour ago, knotscott said:

I'd move up to the 14" BS...much more capable.  I'd also skip the miter saw and use your TS for crosscutting...get a decent miter gauge and.or build a crosscut sled....it'll be more accurate on all but very long pieces.  Build a router table into the wing of the TS to save some space.

Unfortunately my TS has no wing extension.

For some less furniture DIY stuff around the house I am reading between the lines that you may take on I found a jigsaw, reciprocating saw, cordless drill, and router with some varied bits to be extremely helpful. Just completely gutted my bathroom and would have been in a world of trouble without these tools where I could have gotten by or used a different tool in most instances where I used other tools. Of course the router would be less useful if you did less custom work, I have custom trim and a medicine cabinet my dad actually made. Obviously this is not including tools like the grout float which cannot be replaced.