Lacquer buff out question

CandorLush

14 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

If one was to just add a dozen or two coats on a flat panel, throwing caution to wind and getting orange peel all over, would you still end up with a good clear surface once you worked through the grits and buffed it out?

With a solvent lacquer, in theory, yes.  But it takes more skill (and time) to level and rub out a crap finish than it does to lay down a good one.  

Basically you need to sand between coats and build a smooth even base to even think about rubbing out the top coats. When you start rubbing out a finish every pore, flaw, ding or texture becomes quite evident. If you sanded the top of heavy orange peel you just might see the layers unless you are using true solvent lacquer that burns in to the coat below it.

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

With a solvent lacquer, in theory, yes.  But it takes more skill (and time) to level and rub out a crap finish than it does to lay down a good one.  

24 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Basically you need to sand between coats and build a smooth even base to even think about rubbing out the top coats. When you start rubbing out a finish every pore, flaw, ding or texture becomes quite evident. If you sanded the top of heavy orange peel you just might see the layers unless you are using true solvent lacquer that burns in to the coat below it.

Thanks guys, this is basically what I expected, I have some leftover Minwax spray I was going to test out some other techniques with but would rather not totally waste it.

I just looked at the contents and that seems to be true lacquer that will burn in if you apply wet coats. Light coats may dry too fast to burn in.

They make a Lacquer sanding sealer that would be a great way to establish a smooth base.

Rattle cans would only be useful on a very small project and even that might need several cans.

Anyone who begins the journey of spray finishes will face issues, facts of spraying. Learn how to block sand and smooth rough sprayed finishes. Become good at it. So when the day comes and you're on a project, you say, I GOT THIS. A novice will dry spray, a novice will get runs, a novice will get orange peel. Yes, it even happens to the guy who pulls the trigger of a spray gun for years.

Get busy, sand that bitch down with a wood block and some 600 wet/dry sand paper. Spray a little water on the surface and sand, learn. If the surface doesn't pass the test of damn it looks good, hit it again with more lacquer and repeat till you get it right!  

Stripping finishes from time to time happens, we don't like too, but it happens. 

-Ace-

• Like 1