Dust Right dust collector

Corey Christensen

Hi All,

I have been looking to add a dust collector for my table saw, planner and soon to be jointer.  I know that the bigger HP units are better but I like the wall unit for space saving.  I am in a 2 car garage that is 20x20.  I currently have to park at least 1 car in the garage due to HOA rules.  I have read mix reviews on this, some say it works great other say it is horrible.  Now I will not be running duct work, I will just connect the hose to each unit when I need it.  Also I have started a small woodworking business and I am producing about 6-8 items a week, nothing large just built in's, cutting boards and small end tables.  I would love any input on weather they have used or recommend a dust collector. 

I have one.  Now I bought it off craigslist  for roughly half what they cost new.    I have a problem with mine(might be why the guy sold it) that if there's any resistance to airflow, like plugging it into a machine before starting it'll pop the overload on the motor.   But if I start it and then connect, it works.   I kind of suspect the starter capacitor might need replacing and so I'm going to try that.

Other than that one problem I've had, it really feels beefy and well built.

In terms of collecting dust from a single machine it works great.   It makes some noise but isn't overly loud.   The bag it comes with isn't the greatest in terms of trapping fine dust.   They have this new paper filter setup now which looks intriguing and doesn't take up much more space.   I might buy that when it goes on sale again.

I struggled finding a good place for it with the connection on the side, but I added an elbow to point the hose forward and that helped otherwise the hose got bent pretty severely.   I've also found with the dust right hose thing you really need that swivel connector as well otherwise the hose kind of fights you when you need to twist it to connect.  

It's pretty heavy(around 40 lbs and more if there's dust in the bag), so this idea you're going to be moving it about is kind of silly.

They improved the quick fit handle... http://www.rockler.com/rockler-dust-right-4-quick-fit-handle  It now has a loop, so you can hang it back on the handle of the motor.   The handle is a lot stronger as well.   Also apparently the new hose is lighter.

Oh, and never try to vacuum up shavings from a hand plane as they just clog it up.... I learned that one the hard way. ;-)

9 hours ago, Corey Christensen said:

Thanks for all the insight,  how far have you ran the hose out to test the suction?

Well I have the 20' hose and it has plenty of air flow out to that length.

I have a very small shop, so no table saw.   but it works well on bandsaw, router table, and my little lunchbox planer.

It's fine for just one tool, but as you already suspected it's not going to be enough to run a whole ducting system.   

I took apart my Dust Right collector last night to see what was going on... tested the capacitor and it was fine.   I believe the problem was with the centrifugal switch so I adjusted that using instructions from this grizzly video, and it seems to work a whole lot better.

It's pretty sturdily built.   Says made in Taiwan, has a nice beefy metal blade.

I think the wall mount unit Grizzly sells is the same exact thing, if that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one, using it in a similar situation. I mounted it on the wall and hard piped it down to the floor with another elbow there facing outward. That way the hose is never hanging. The best thing I've done with it is, I bought a cyclone separator that fits on a metal trash can. This has increased the capacity greatly and helps with performance. It keeps the cloth bag empty, allowing it to filter air more efficiently. Not to mention much easier to dump the chips. Also, I can't recommend this for safety purposes, but I snipped out both of the grates on the intake and bag side of the blower. I got tired of it clogging up on me. Obviously, I wouldn't have had to do that if I installed the cyclone separator first. 

Another tip, I purchased a remote switch for it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FHIG5GW?psc=1. This is a great solution if you have it hanging over in a corner like I do. I used double sided tape and stuck the remote on the front of my table saw, since that's what I use it on the most. Even if I have it plugged in to something else, the table saw is usually in the middle of the shop and within a couple steps to turn it on.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. For similar money, I would have bought a Harbor Freight DC and wall mounted the blower with a cyclone and better filter. But, the Rockler DC has been working well for me and will probably work fine for you as long as you are using on one tool at a time.