Arm R Seal & Epoxy Question

sjm1580

I am in the process of finishing a Bolivian  Walnut pecky table top and plan on using Arm R Seal and West System Epoxy for the voids.  My question is would it be a good idea to treat the sanded table first with a coat or two of Arm R Seal and then start the epoxy process in order to protect the bare wood from getting inundated with epoxy? 

Thanks for the help!

Steve

• Like 1

Yes, that's my

16 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Did a google search on that wood. Whew, lot of VOIDS.......have you thought about doing a pour on bar top finish? Or maybe using a pore filler and only partially filling the voids, give it that rustic look? Or a piece of glass over top?

-Ace-

IMG_20170130_173428.jpg

Is this your table, found it in another post. That doesn't look too bad. I would use the masking tape. Maybe a little time consuming, but well worth it.  

IMG_20170130_173428.jpg

Is this your table, found it in another post. That doesn't look too bad. I would use the masking tape. Maybe a little time consuming, but well worth it.  

Yes, that's my baby!  I am planning to use West #105 in combo with 207 which will give me a little more time to play with.  I was planning to use syringes to apply a large portion of the epoxy thereby trying to limit the excess epoxy.  I certainly could try and tape a lot of it, but the pecky is so pervasive that I will still be left with a lot of excess. 

10 minutes ago, ChrisG-Canada said:

Epoxy...sand...finish

I've done this many times and it works great.

How do you apply and does the excess leach into the wood pores and discolor or do you just sand away and proceed on?

A little too late, but west systems makes a fairing filling.  Its is basically a really fine sawdust you add to the epoxy.  It makes it really easy to sand.  Epoxy without the filler is hell on sand paper.  

22 minutes ago, Mike. said:

A little too late, but west systems makes a fairing filling.  Its is basically a really fine sawdust you add to the epoxy.  It makes it really easy to sand.  Epoxy without the filler is hell on sand paper.  

Does it cure clear or have a color to it? If clear what number filler are you describing.  Very interested in easier sanding!

2 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

Does it cure clear or have a color to it? If clear what number filler are you describing.  Very interested in easier sanding!

It turns the cured epoxy a bondo like color, but you can add dye to get any color you want.  I use black dye or india ink.  

This one is easier to mix:  

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=8404&engine=adwords&keyword=product_ad&gclid=Cj0KEQiAw_DEBRChnYiQ_562gsEBEiQA4Lcssqu7fbzFfMD3B0UZthha3QT1zLYtaPgE2TKZJDEbxqIaAjTf8P8HAQ

This one is easier to sand:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=8281&engine=adwords&keyword=product_ad&gclid=Cj0KEQiAw_DEBRChnYiQ_562gsEBEiQA4Lcssl_xZ3YgQn_b_a3yZThaJAcpnS2X59AOaB6e4_Q0QDIaAvEp8P8HAQ

2 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

Why don't you just use bondo? It can be tinted.

-Ace-

Because I have a gallon of epoxy in my shop!  But honestly, Bondo is probably just as good and a whole lot cheaper.  I think woodworkers use epoxy because they see other guys using it.