Proper ROS Use

Seth Clayton

A random orbital sander has always seemed like a simple tool to me, so I've never done any research on its proper use. Specifically, how much pressure should one apply to the machine as it's buzzing and sanding away? No pressure, and it'll vibrate and the pad will spin slowly at the same time. A little more and the pad stops spinning. Is that when you know you're pressing too hard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its always tempting to press too hard when sanding thinking that you will get done faster, but thats not the case, moderate pressure or none at all is best for the life of the paper and your sander. slow down your motion when sanding and let the sander do the work and you will get a better result.

43 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Only the weight of the sander is all the pressure you should be using. If your sander isn't working correctly under that amount of pressure, you need a better sander.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

this ^^

Mark has mentioned is several videos about how to use it ... he just moves it along not putting any pressure down on it.

• Like 1

Like any tool you need practice. I'm not from the "no pressure" camp. You have to apply "some" pressure. The real issue is how to move the sander. My rule of thumb is enough pressure is the same as if you were to wipe wax off your car, one handed. If the weight of the sander is your guide, it will take forever to sand. More aggressive grits, I typically use less pressure then as I go through the grits, my pressure increases.

That's me and how I roll.  

-Ace-

I'm in the some pressure camp as well. Not a lot but enough to keep it from dancing around. I always keep it in motion too, not too fast but at a steady rate.

If you have a vac attached for dust collection reducing the suction will make the hooks on the pad last much longer. Full suction or heavy pressure makes the pad heat up and shortens the life of the hooks. For many years I used a non adjustable suction vac by drilling about 5 or 6 holes in the hose end fitting. That reduced the suction but still picked up the dust. A scrap of 1 1/2" PVC slip joint pipe with a single saw kerf down the length would snap over the holes when I used the vac to clean up.

• Like 1