Upgrading my Router Table and Router

sjm1580

I have a Bosch router and bench top table and would like to upgrade.  

I have been looking at the Incra, Woodpecker and Jessum offerings and wanted to get advice / opinions of them.  I am located in a very humid area of the world so would rather stay away from an MDF top (not sure if that would be a long term issue or not).  Woodpecker offers a solid phenolic table top and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on those and if they would be better suited for my area.

As always thanks for the help!

Steve

I looked at the Jessum set ups but ended up going with the Incra LS Super System mainly because I like the fence system itself.  I have the Porter Cable 7518 motor which is a pretty popular one for tables.  The top is laminate over mdf.  I am not sure this would be a problem in a humid area, thinking of all the kitchen counter tops that are laminate that are in humid environments 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet K said:

I looked at the Jessum set ups but ended up going with the Incra LS Super System mainly because I like the fence system itself.  I have the Porter Cable 7518 motor which is a pretty popular one for tables.  The top is laminate over mdf.  I am not sure this would be a problem in a humid area, thinking of all the kitchen counter tops that are laminate that are in humid environments 

I read your post about your purchase.  Any particular reason for not going the Jessum route?  Any thoughts on the Woodpecker set-up?

i have the phenolic  top and love it, i agree that without support anything can sag. i have a incra table insert with a master lift connected to it.. and powered with the MILWAUKEE 5625‑20 .. works great and have had it for a few year now, the early wood pecker insert plates were really good with the aluminum inserts but they went to plastic now.. i have had the phenolic top for 12 yrs and it has done well. ,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merlau said:

i have the phenolic  top and love it, i agree that without support anything can sag. i have a incra table insert with a master lift connected to it.. and powered with the MILWAUKEE 5625‑20 .. works great and have had it for a few year now, the early wood pecker insert plates were really good with the aluminum inserts but they went to plastic now.. i have had the phenolic top for 12 yrs and it has done well. ,

Thanks for the help!

1 hour ago, sjm1580 said:

Any particular reason for not going the Jessum route?

No, no particular reason other then I wanted the Incra fence system and some of the capabilities it has for cutting dovetails and box joints.  I will add this too, if you are in a space constraint situation I think that the Incra has a bigger foot print then most tables.  My top is 27" X 44" maybe one of the Jessum guys will chime in with their dimensions to compare.

Just now, Chet K said:

No, no particular reason other then I wanted the Incra fence system and some of the capabilities it has for cutting dovetails and box joints.  I will add this too, if you are in a space constraint situation I think that the Incra has a bigger foot print then most tables.  My top is 27" X 44" maybe one of the Jessum guys will chime in with their dimensions to compare.

Actually I was just looking at that, as I do have space constraints.  Incra has a smaller top, but the end of the fence set-up hangs off the back andsides of the table a bit.  I think with my shop size I am really limited to the 24" x 36 " top and may go the Jessum route.  I hope that smaller top size won't limit me to much on usability?

Is the Woodpecker set-up a different color Jessum?

You should be able to do anything you want with the size of the Jessum.  If you really look at the Incra it isn't a big work area, it is a lot of real estate just for the fence assembly.  I know Kev (TIODS) really likes his Jessum and I think that is also the one Marc has.  The one I was looking at is the model that Keggers mentioned above.   When I was researching my purchase I worked off of the information I was getting here at the forum and nobody really mentioned the Woodpecker so it didn't get any of my research time so I can't tell you anything about it.  It really came down to the two you are looking at.  Oh and the Incra Mast R Lift II that I have in my table, yea, it is made by Jessum for Incra.  I think you will be happy with either one you select.  But like I mentioned above the Porter Cable 7518 motor is a beast, I have no regrets at all with that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet K said:

You should be able to do anything you want with the size of the Jessum.  If you really look at the Incra it isn't a big work area, it is a lot of real estate just for the fence assembly.  I know Kev (TIODS) really likes his Jessum and I think that is also the one Marc has.  The one I was looking at is the model that Keggers mentioned above.   When I was researching my purchase I worked off of the information I was getting here at the forum and nobody really mentioned the Woodpecker so it didn't get any of my research time so I can't tell you anything about it.  It really came down to the two you are looking at.  Oh and the Incra Mast R Lift II that I have in my table, yea, it is made by Jessum for Incra.  I think you will be happy with either one you select.  But like I mentioned above the Porter Cable 7518 motor is a beast, I have no regrets at all with that. 

Great feedback thank you!

46 minutes ago, pdacey08 said:

Just curious, does anyone have the Sommerfeld table with a Triton router under it? I've been looking at this config. and I like the idea of not having the separate lift/plate insert.

Aluminum is a soft metal and I would be concerned about getting an accidental gouge in it and having is scratch your work as you slide it across.  Having said that I don't have any actual experience wit this table, But the aluminum top would have me hesitant.  If you want something of this nature you might look at General Internationals cast iron router tables.

My first router table was made of high density particle board and Iaminated formica to the top with conttact cement.  Stayed nice and flat for a long time.  Surface nice and smooth and easy to clean.  If you really want it even stiffer use 2 layers of particle board.  I put a strip of formica in the bottom of the miter gauge slot - very nice.

• Like 1

Because of the size constraints of my shop I am gravitating towards the Incra ls17 fence system with the 24"x 36" top.  With the fence system aligned perpendicular to the long side of the table it looks the the working area is somewhat limited.  Does anyone know this setup and have any thoughts on this setup?

19 minutes ago, Chet K said:

The top on my LS system is 27" wide 44" deep.  With the fence pushed all the way back I am 22" to the front edge of the table and I have never had the need for more real estate.   If you are getting the smaller top you would only be 1 1/2" narrower on either side of the router.  I think you would be fine.  Hopefully TIODS will chime in again I know he has had experience with both sizes of router tables the Jessem and the Incra.

Just a couple of pics of mine for you to compare.

IMG_4659.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

Great help, thank you for the measurements and pictures.  Love your setup.  How was finishing the cabinet around the stand? Looks really good.

Thanks again.

That Icnra stand has slots in the legs so the front, back and two sides just slide in. But building the internal parts for the drawers and such are a bit challenging because you have to do it with the outside already in place.  Kind of backwards of normal case construction.  If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have ordered the stand, I would just build the whole thing from scratch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After going through a couple of setups I learned to pick my motor/lift and fence preferences first, then find the table that met my preferences.  Just food for thought; you don't want to get all setup and then realize that you would have preferred a different lift and the hole doesn't work well.

7 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

After going through a couple of setups I learned to pick my motor/lift and fence preferences first, then find the table that met my preferences.  Just food for thought; you don't want to get all setup and then realize that you would have preferred a different lift and the hole doesn't work well.

Thanks for the input.  I spent quite a bit of time researching the setup, considering my allowable space and amount of anticipated use.  I also spoke directly with the Incra sales/technical about the setup and am pretty confident this is the correct setup for me personally.

27 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Sorry about that sjm1580. I breezed right past the fact that you already came to a decision. My post was out of sync and unnecessary. I think you will be happy with the set up you've chosen.

Wasn't out of sync or unnecessary, I just ordered yesterday and there is quite a lag time in shipping so any comments negative or positive are welcome as i'm sure i could modify the order.  My main concern is the Porter Cable 892 being enough router, but after speaking to the Incra rep I am pretty confident it will be.

As always, thanks for the comments!

Steve

1 hour ago, sjm1580 said:

My main concern is the Porter Cable 892 being enough router,

You can always upgrade this at a latter date if you choose.  worst thing would be the possibility of having to change the mounting blocks in the lift. 

• Like 1