Water based finishes

RicksHobby

I am looking for help with applying General finishes High performance top coat.  I am using this on kitchen cabinets (doors and boxes) that I have painted with Annie Sloan chalk paint.  The only way I can get a finish without brush marks is to spray.  I am having to do the cabinets in sections to keep the kitchen useable.  The finish does not have to be perfect, I just don't want super visible brush marks in the finish.  The paint has been sanded smooth with up to 400 grit paper.

I followed GF;s videos and used the applicator pad with stocking = still stroke marks

Higher quality foam brushes = still stroke marks.

Thinned with water = still stroke marks

Added GF dry time extender = some marks still not to the level I want.

I have practiced each method on painted practice boards to see if it was more something I was doing.

Perhaps you're not getting enough product on the surface to flow out. The key using the pad is to not overwork it. Get it on and the finish will flow out smooth. You may have to do 2 coats. Whatever you do don't thin if your brushing. The extender seems to work for you so that's telling me you're not working fast enough.

Ya have to get it on and move without over working it. Water-based finish drys fast.

-Ace-

Ive never been able to brush or wipe a perfect water based finish. If spraying is not an option, then you need to "finish the finish". Some kind of abrasive, some kind of lubricant, and some elbow grease. For cabinets thats alot of work though so hopefully you have a spray option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm confused. Everyone is answering as if he isn't spraying, but he clearly says he's spraying. He says: " The only way I can get a finish without brush marks is to spray."

The way I'm reading it, he brushed on a Sloan base coat (whatever that is) and after spraying the GP topcoat, he's still seeing brush marks.

I don't mean to sound like Eric. but I think the answer is that if you don't want brush strokes after you apply water-based topcoat, you shouldn't spray over top of brush strokes.

Sand your base coat if you want a smoooth finish.

35 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I'm confused. Everyone is answering as if he isn't spraying, but he clearly says he's spraying. He says: " The only way I can get a finish without brush marks is to spray."

The way I'm reading it, he brushed on a Sloan base coat (whatever that is) and after spraying the GP topcoat, he's still seeing brush marks.

I don't mean to sound like Eric. but I think the answer is that if you don't want brush strokes after you apply water-based topcoat, you shouldn't spray over top of brush strokes.

Sand your base coat if you want a smoooth finish.

Don't quote him! Ever known him to be right;)? I'm thinking Behr, exterior, gloss! 

• Like 1

Ok Rick. time for you to chime in and alleviate the confusion.

In case your are having trouble with the top coat, I have had good luck with GF water based top coat with foam brushes. The key is to apply a liberal amount quickly then do a series of overlapping strokes all way across and then leave it alone. 

In case you still see paint brush coats after spraying the top coat - see Davewyo.

i think what OP meant to say:

" Is the only way I can get a finish without brush marks is to spray?"

Clearly he is not spraying... context clues matter (where are our resident primary school teachers?)

Yes, you can get a nice finish with a brush but it isn't easy.  Ace is correct - put on a wet coat and DO NOT work it.   Just lay it down and walk away.  No foreplay... dump and run.  Waterbase dries the minute you lay it down so if you push it around, it will get brush markets.  find some videos of guys doing a floor with waterbase - if they can cover a floor you can cover a cabinet door.  Just need to be fast about it.  

Thanks for the replies guys. 

The cabinet frames are left in place on the wall. I was trying to not spray them as I can only do sections at a time plus it is winter so any venting to the outside just won't happen right now. 

I planned on spraying the the doors as I can just do that in the garage. 

Was hoping to brush the frames and have a not so noticeable difference in the finish surface. 

The picture is of how bad the marks were in some spots  I gave up on the insides of the cabinets and let them be  the outside was sanded back down to paint  

IMG_2606.JPG