Strongboxes

drzaius

4 hours ago, Lester Burnham said:

Looks good. Many members of my family would love to add those their collections of Steelers things.

That reminds me, I have a friend who is a rabid Steelers fan. I'll have to send him the pic.

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

Man, I really like the way you squared up those dovetails.  Makes them look like box joints!  Excellent work.

Haha. Ya, I didn't want to correct them. Would have been awkward. 

• Like 2

Dr. Z, that's awesome! The SAR folks must be really grateful for your work on the boxes. I love the coloration; it's a great attention-getter and will probably get passers-by to ask questions and possibly donate on the spot.

Give my thanks to your DIL for her work, too. My BIL is hardcore SAR -- a piton-and-rope rescue guy -- and they deserve our thanks for saving our collective bacon.

2 hours ago, mat60 said:

May I ask how you do your box joints.    I have only done them on the table saw.

Used a jig with the table saw. William Ng has an excellent video showing how to make & use a box joint jig. I'd like to try doing on the router table & see how that goes. The only issue with the table saw is that my dado stack leaves tiny bat ears at the corners, though they are hardly visible.

13 hours ago, ClassAct said:

Dr. Z, that's awesome! The SAR folks must be really grateful for your work on the boxes. I love the coloration; it's a great attention-getter and will probably get passers-by to ask questions and possibly donate on the spot.

Give my thanks to your DIL for her work, too. My BIL is hardcore SAR -- a piton-and-rope rescue guy -- and they deserve our thanks for saving our collective bacon.

They really do. Everything from the dramatic mountain rescues to having to slog through brush in the rain in the middle of the night. Someone goes missing & those guys are there in force.

• Like 2