Do I have the Epoxy Blues?

sjm1580

Working on a pecky walnut table top with a moderate amount of filling required.  Went with West System 105 coupled with 207 hardener.  Began filling the pecky voids with temperature in the shop in the mid 60's and some of the voids have cured fairly well, while a couple have the consistency of hardened snot after 36 hours of curing.  Some of the inconsistent areas were filled with the same batch mixture (using the West System Pump setup).  I have tried using a hair dry on low heat to induce the curing process in the areas not curing.

Just scratching my head on what it could be, same batch, inconsistent curing in similar but different locations, same temperature for all areas.  I can rule out mixing problems because I was very diligent about proper mixing.

Maybe the epoxy is interacting with the feces left by the bugs in certain pecky areas?  Just kidding but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

32 minutes ago, sjm1580 said:

Just Bob, do you remember how long it took to cure?  Thank you!

When this happened to me I was working on a project with large cracks, my shop temp was in the 60's during the day and mid 40's at night.  It took several days to cure.  I tried to use a heat gun to speed up the process that helped some but I was almost at the point of giving up when it cured.  Even though I tried to be diligent with my mixing process I am sure I screwed something up.  West systems has great customer assistance either goon line or give them a call.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

When this happened to me I was working on a project with large cracks, my shop temp was in the 60's during the day and mid 40's at night.  It took several days to cure.  I tried to use a heat gun to speed up the process that helped some but I was almost at the point of giving up when it cured.  Even though I tried to be diligent with my mixing process I am sure I screwed something up.  West systems has great customer assistance either goon line or give them a call.  

If it doesn't cure by tomorrow I will give them a call. Between now and tomorrow I will keep up with the power of positive thinking, chanting and meditation!

21 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Can you keep the shop warmer tonight ? Or tent an electric blanket over it ? Not laying directly on the top.

21 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Can you keep the shop warmer tonight ? Or tent an electric blanket over it ? Not laying directly on the top.

I don't for tonight but come tomorrow if things don't change I will try some fashion of keeping the temperature higher.