foam drill pad for drill sanding

treesner

I ordered one of these close quarter drills like this guy has for sanding, I was contemplating the festool RO90 but i think the added orbital to the spinning wouldn't be the best for hard lines i want to keep. Wondering if anyone has a favorite drill chuck sanding pad. I see they come in 2" and 3" This setup looks cool as you can pull the sanding pad on and off with the twist lock opposed to velcro that gets dust in it over time https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/114/6841/KJR-Deluxe-Sanding-Kit

I made mine out of some oak, some ball bearings in the handle, and 7/16" hex head on the end of the bolt so I can drive it with the drill if I want, but I usually let it spin on it's own. 

For the pad, I use dollar store sponges, cut to shape and size, with velcro glued to them, and attach the discs to that.   When the velcro starts to wear out, I just make a new pad.   I figure that doesn't help ya too much, but maybe it will. 

Went off of Marius' video:

• Like 2

I picked up a set of 8 roller blade wheels off amazon for under $20 a while back for another project I was doing.  Each wheel has two bearings and a bushing.  I've found them handy to have around, and one wheels worth of parts went into this project. 

Edit: found the link to the set of wheels, but they aren't available any more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't sweat the dust build up..or more probably worn velcro from slipped papers... they sell replacement velcro circles for the drill attachment... Chuck up the drill attachment in the lathe and use your skew to slice off the old velcro... then contact cement a new velcro circle back on and away you go.  It's also a good idea to use an interface pad so you can ditch the pad when things get messy as opposed to messing up the primary drill attachment.

• 3 months later...
Guest Randy

I bought a snub-nosed variable speed drill similar to the one in the referenced Reed Gray video for about $35 (with a coupon of course). I have the sanding set (or a similar one) for both 2" and 3" disks which I bought from another supplier. I like the results I get sanding with the disk mounted in the drill. I get to the desired result quicker and the it seems as if I don't get scratch marks because the sanding is occurring in at least 2 directions with the spinning disk and the lather turning. I'm just a beginner but I was very happy with the result from the sander/disk method of sanding bowls.

On 2/13/2017 at 2:47 PM, treesner said:

I was contemplating the festool RO90 but i think the added orbital to the spinning wouldn't be the best for hard lines i want to keep.

RO sanders have both orbital and direct-drive modes.  I'm not sure how the orbital feature has an impact on your specific task, but you can turn it off if you need to.

Aaaannd...I just realized this question is four months old.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

RO sanders have both orbital and direct-drive modes.  I'm not sure how the orbital feature has an impact on your specific task, but you can turn it off if you need to.

Aaaannd...I just realized this question is four months old.

doesn't the direct drive have a slight wobble to the spinning? i.e. its not exactly like attaching a sanding disc to a drill which would spin perfectly

Just now, treesner said:

doesn't the direct drive have a slight wobble to the spinning? i.e. its not exactly like attaching a sanding disc to a drill which would spin perfectly

No...it spins just like it would on a drill...direct drive, no random orbit.