Saddle racks

Seth Clayton

Hi all!

I'm itching to do SOMETHING with wood while I'm away from the shop for the winter, so I decided to make some simple saddle racks.

6ba3572b92f776ae370fe5f6e803d3bc.jpg

Where the leg braces overlap the legs, what do you call those joints? Lap joints? I'm limited in the tools that I travel with to make those. I picked up a few chisels at lowes () and I was planning to do it by hand. The only other tools I have with me are a jig saw and my new track saw. Is there a better way than the chisels? I picked up a 2"-er and a couple small ones. The racks will be made out of 1"x3" everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Seth Clayton said:

Where the leg braces overlap the legs, what do you call those joints? Lap joints? I'm limited in the tools that I travel with to make those. I picked up a few chisels at lowes (emoji15.png) and I was planning to do it by hand. The only other tools I have with me are a jig saw and my new track saw. Is there a better way than the chisels? I picked up a 2"-er and a couple small ones. The racks will be made out of 1"x3" everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, those look like lap joints.

If you want to make a really exact notch/dado, you could make yourself a poor mans router plane with a drill and chunk of flat lumber.

• Like 1

I would line up the pieces for several joints and cut the sides plus a few in the middle of each joint at the same timewith your tracksaw . Double face tape could hold the boards from shifting while you cut the saw kerfs. Another suggestion would be to only cut 1/4" deep laps so that there is more wood left. Use a glue that is gap filling like epoxy so if the bottom of your joints aren't nice and flat it shouldn't matter too much.  A few screws could be substituted if you don't have any clamps handy.

• Like 1