Final Table Surface

Idaho Andy

I've just finished the final desk(table) of an office suite project that has included everything from the cabinetry to several work stations and now the final tiger maple desk.  My question is about the table top. I've made it through all of my coats of varnish (ARS) with a final satin finish. I've sanded between coats and the final topcoat is now about 12 hours dry... and frankly looks pretty good.

My question is what is the best method to finalize the surface (as in removing the roughness or dust nips etc.) to make it perfectly smooth. Since this is a tiger maple table top, there WILL be a constant focus on the surface.  I've heard of everything from 0000 steel wool and wax, to crumpled craft paper and even 2000grit patine pads. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  This project has taken it's toll with my patience, 24 hours between coats ... top side and bottom side... you guys know the drill...   a few extra hours now will NOT be a big deal... I'd just like to do it right :)  

Thanks!

Andy, I just finished a project and used a crumpled paper grocery bag for the first time and am really amazed at how smooth it turned out. As the ARS had time (1 week) to set, I don't know if drying time has an affect on it or not? Best try it first on a section that won't be seen. 

Looks like Steve answered that one for me/us!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

I used 3000 grit paper recently, worked well for me...still possible to be a dummy and hit a spot too hard and burn through a layer though, only works if you are taking a few gentle passes to remove some dust nibs, like you said.

Is that about like using a paper towel?

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Andy, I just finished a project and used a crumpled paper grocery bag for the first time and am really amazed at how smooth it turned out. As the ARS had time (1 week) to set, I don't know if drying time has an affect on it or not? Best try it first on a section that won't be seen. 

Looks like Steve answered that one for me/us!

And I stand corrected. I used it on the General Finishes, HP part of the project, sprayer applied, which dried MUCH sooner than the ARS.

A white abrasive pad is a bit coarser than the brown paper bag.  I haven't used the Abralon pads but they sound good to me.  If the sheen isn't high enough there are rubbing and polishing compounds, approach these with caution and practice before you even think of trying them on your desktop !

• Like 1

With all the owrk you have put into this I would be very careful using anything with much abrasion. If you are unsure I would start with a terry cloth towel, then maybe a courser cloth, then maybe a paper bag. Stop when you are satisfied.  I am not a big fan of wax.