Getting fed up!

Theyellowtreeworksho

Hey all. 

Not meaning to bring a downer on the forum but need a pick me up. 

After my grandad past, he left me his tools. I have just set them all up and thought I'd go through to see if everything was working properly. .. .well nothing is square, level or flat. 

The pillar drill: wobbles and drillsee large holes.

The radial arm: fence is out of wack. 

Combination machine: planer blades blunt and stuck in the machine, fence is not square. Table saw isbt cutting right and don't get me started on the sliding cross cut table. Oh and the thicknesser doesn't feed for some reason. 

10' planer: making very strange noises and is becoming scary. 

So after taking some material and trying to make it flat and square....well it isn't.  

Currently in a 6'x10' work shop as had to move and it's driving me up the wall. 

Need some words of wisdom! 

Really want to start building and stop messing around with tools that don't seem to work. 

You have jumped into a steep learning curve. Adjusting, repairing and operating older worn equipment is an acquired skill. I learned a lot from my dad and grandad plus trial and error on my own. At some point it may be easier to replace a tool rather than waste time and money to fix or adjust it. 

Finding a local old timer to point you in the right direction is wise. If you can't find one slow down, take a few deep breaths and tackle each problem with plenty of research before you break something. Search the Internet and take plenty of well lit pictures as you disassemble a machine. I label plastic zip top bags to keep track of parts. Pay close attention to fastener sizes. There might be a short one in some location and it will need to go back in that exact spot. 

There can be specialty tools needed to remove snap rings, bearnings, roll pins and set screws etc. So it comes down buy the tool you need and learn how to use it or pay someone to do it for you 

Knowing exactly what brand and model you have helps you get specific answers about each tool. Take pictures ! Planer knives can be held in several different ways. Sliding crosscut tables can be finicky but they are very useful and usually cost a great deal. Looking around on the internet for the manual is a great first step.

Knowing what country you are in and what brand of tools you have would help a great deal. How old those machines are matters too.

A friend of mine brought a box of old rusty chisels to class yesterday to ask my advice on bringing them back up to a useable condition. Old Marples, mostly. I don't like spending hours and hours on rusty tools and would rather order a new one that I know works well. He showed them to the instructor and asked his opinion. He recommended that he take them down the hall and bead blast them.

15 minutes later he brought back a box of shiny, clean tools ready to be honed. 

Upload some photos of what you have and we'll have much better recommendations.

The problem with starting with worn equipment is you don't really know how well it worked when it was good. Maybe it sat for a reason, he wanted new stuff ;) Maybe it sat because he didn't have time to work on them any longer. Or something is broken, or the parts are no longer available.

The pillar drill is probably a bearing issue. Radial fence, should be easy enough to get straight. Blades stuck in the machine, probably just seized.

Anyway, pics would really be helpful here. :) 

If you don't like rehabbing tools, then it's time to go buy some new tools for the shop. The down side is that now you have to spend money. The up side is that you get to buy new tools!

Depending on how "vintage" the tools are, there may be some folks in your area who would love to pick up a rehab project like those tools. If you want to at least keep exploring to discover the scope of repair or rehab, check out Care and Repair of Shop Machines. It's as good a place to start as any.

Wow! I didn't expect such positive feedback. I took a couple hours and got some food. 

Thank you all for the great words, really helps. Trouble when you have memories and they are becoming frustrating as it isn't as easy as it was.

Pictures of the tools in question. I've made a start and got rid of the festo mitre fence for the radial arm and just screwed a piece of box section square to the blade. I've also gone through a youtube guide to setting the radial arm up so that the table matches the arm.is that makes sense (using the arbor and a feeler gauge)

The pillar drill will do for now, it's just frustrating.  

As for this multi machine, it's a pain in the a**e.  The manual I believe is translated from Spanish. I've rebuilt it before when my grandad got it. Only thing I'd like from it is the small yet useful table saw. Oh and the planer. No need for the spindle moulder, mortiser thicknesser and whatever else it has. 

The 10, bench auto planer is all to whack but it'll do for now. Until I buy a new one...think it might die by then. 

There are a lot!  Of tools to go through that need work, it's just these are the largest and thought would be the most useful to have set up. 

At some point have the bench grinder, mini metal lathe and the mountains of hand tools to go through. Must have about 4 sets of chisels. Even my grandads, dad's.... 

Thank you all again. Great pick me uP,  knowing there are nice people out there.

Oh and I'm in the UK. 

14870927139131222244027.jpg

1487092728934322130434.jpg

14870927539711766671958.jpg

14870927967651463479877.jpg

1487092815284731230143.jpg

1487093300761-1970924589.jpg

14870933364571939909293.jpg

Drill press = pillar drill

Could be bearings, could be the chuck isn't seated correctly.

Chance that the shaft is bent if a piece of steel being drilled wasn't clamped down and the bit grabbed. It can swing around, hit the pillar and either unseat the Chuck or bend the shaft. I learned that the hard way, just glad I didn't get hurt.

• Like 1

I am wanting to be a woodworker. I've been a handyman for the last 6 years and used to install/build electric gates. Would have thought getting these tools to work would be a breeze. 

I'll start making a pile and start selling. Dont want to loose a finger (like he did) using crap tools. I'd like to add his accident wasn't on any of these. ;)

Thanks again. Look forward to going shopping. 

25 minutes ago, Theyellowtreeworksho said:

I'll start making a pile and start selling. Be eternal to make with him in mind that loose a finger (like he did) using crap tools. I'd like to add his accident wasn't on any of these. ;)

I've got a Joiner that was responsible for a minor amputation when my father used to use it. There's something special about using a tool which has tasted blood :lol:.

• Like 2

I agree with the sell it sentiment, though as a fan of all things old it pains me to admit it.

I think the problem is in the scale of what you would have to do to get them all working. Tuning and maintaining machines at first is probably as hard if not harder than the furniture making itself, it gets easier with time, but I'm sure you wanna make some sawdust now. If you had one or two things to work out (the fence on the radial arm saw is probably fixable) I would say jump in, but with the overwhelming number of issues I would definitely sell em and go get yourself a TS and planer.

Most will tell you that you need a jointer (and you will) but you can get away with doing a lot of higher tolerance projects to get started (adirondacks, painted stuff etc). 

Either way, welcome, hopefully you're able to get yourself going.

I'm on my way. Sold the pillar drill, thicknesser, chip extractor and crappie multi machine. 

Also got someone coming to have a look at the rest. Although said he would take the two spare routers. 

Getting excited as will be able to put the money into the shed next to the one I'm in at the moment. It is 12'x12' needs a new floor and insulating though do have a condensation issue as it has a metal roof.