How many tape measures?

aknotsdeath

Let's see, one at the tablesaw with magnet to stick it to the fence next to the pencil, One at the bench, one in my little pouch I wear when breaking down parts, one by the cut-off bins, one in the office, one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen . . .

Nope, 7 is normal, 10 is wayyyy out of line.

• Like 1

If I may weigh in on the subject. I own about 20 tape measures. Currently I know where 7 of them are located. I bring a tape measure to a room to do something like hang a picture, measure for a piece of furniture or something, and then that tape measure is offered as tribute to the room until it is rescued at a later point in time. 

See this is my problem. Especially since most stuff right now is focused around the house. I keep saying I need more. And different sizes of course.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I would insert a 6 inch joke here however I am still feeling out the forums.

• Like 1

Not just any Fat Max.  The 16' Fat Max.  The others are fine for carpenters, but they're too big for the shop.

I haven't found another with as long of a stand-out or with such a robust mechanism as the Fat Max.  They're tough little bastards.  Perfect shop tapes.

• Like 1

What you need to do is keep buying tape measures until you have reached a saturation level. Tape measures move around all the time, sometimes by themselves. So when you have saturation, there's always a tape nearby.

Fat Max is great & I really like the Milwaukee tapes as well.

• Like 1

Not just any Fat Max.  The 16' Fat Max.  The others are fine for carpenters, but they're too big for the shop.

I haven't found another with as long of a stand-out or with such a robust mechanism as the Fat Max.  They're tough little bastards.  Perfect shop tapes.

Ohh ok. I have the 25' one and agreed it's to big. It's nice for in the house and measuring on walls but not any lumber I use.

I like the FastCap lefty,righty (it has labeled 16ths )and the True32metric tape. I take the clip off right out of the package and the tape rides in my pocket. Dropping a tape bends the hook and there goes your accuracy. I check a tape against an engraved ruler frequently. You can straighten the hook sometimes but it's just not the same.

• Like 1