Freud Dial-a-Width Dado Won't Fit Grizzly G0715P

Lofty

Hey Everyone -

Looking for a second opinion. I went to cut dado's last night and found that my new Freud Dial-a- Width Dado stack won't fit on my G0715P. Unfortunately, I gave my other dado stack away as I didn't think I would need it. The dial a dado has a wide center knob on one of the blades which makes it too wide to fit between the arbor and the lower blade guard. Looking at the parts list for the saw the lower blade guard isn't too hard to remove. Trunnion diagram part 158 found here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0715p/parts

So what would you do?

1. Modify/Remove a 3 inch round section of the lower blade guard to allow first blade in the dado stack to fit on the arbor.
  2. Remove the lower blade guard completely.

3. Buy another dado stack and move on from the Freud Dial-a-Width Dado.

Currently I'm thinking I'll just remove the lower blade guard (option 2) but not sure if there is something I'm missing that would make this dangerous. 

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

I don't have any experience with the Dial-a-Width blade but if it's anything like other wobble blades I would get a good multiple blade stacked set. Most dial-a-dado blades don't leave a flat bottom cut. Just my opinion.

Thanks! This isn't a wobble blade style but has a dial so that you can fine tune the width without having to add extra shims. Get's great reviews which is why I purchased it but the dial that allows you to make those micro adjustments makes the one blade much wider and thus preventing it from fitting between the arbor and lower blade guard. 

With this saw the dust collection is only at the bottom of the cabinet. The lower blade guard really is just a piece of metal that covers the side of the blade. Only thing I can think it may do is prevent a large cut off from hitting the side of the blade. I typically have a zero insert plate on so that really can't happen. I decided to remove it, will see what happens. It's only 3 bolts so I can always put it back on (hopefully still having 10 fingers:) )

1 hour ago, Llama said:

@TIODS had an issue with a dado not fitting his Grizzly saw. I'm think it was with a Forrest set. Perhaps an arbor issue, or just a bad dado stack?

Yes, was a Forest stack.  The arbor holes were all just a little bit different.  Grizzly (where I bought the stack) was good about bringing out several and measuring the holes until we found one that would fit my arbor good.

3 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Pictures would really help.

I already removed it but did my best to hold it in place for pictures. The blue you see is a custom designed parts holder so I don't lose the bolts ;)

The lower blade guard sits about a half inch off the end of the arbor. As you can see the dial is thick on the one blade so it wouldn't fit in the gap between end of arbor and guard.

WP_20170215_20_20_15_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20170215_20_19_17_Pro.jpg

• 1 year later...