Dog-eared Chisels

trialbyfire

This one is for the woodworkers new to hand tools like me. I have managed to dog-ear my 1/4" & 1/2" chisels. I most likely did this with over zealous and sloppy sharpening techniques. BUT! I have found a semi quicker way of regrinding the bevels true. I have found that if I make X number of swipes on my coarsest grit, then skip a grit and do X number of passes on that grit and continue to go back and forth. I make much faster progress than just grinding it out on my coarsest grit. Occasionally I will go up to a polishing grit to really check my progress as sometimes it's difficult to see just how much longer I have to pay for my sharpening sins. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this works because I am making the non-dog-eared portion of the bevel flatter by swapping to the less coarse grit which makes it easier to for the coarser grit to do its thing. Is that about right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

b1eeb3f2e00a8f8ba2a283d16a109070.jpg

I made it this far in about 30-45 minutes. For reference the true area was only about half that size when I started the technique above.

I thought I might be imagining it, but I have found the same thing.

If I'm taking down a lot of metal it helps to switch to a medium grit for a little while and then go back to the coarse diamonds. I figured that I'm seeing faster results because I'm scoring a grain pattern with the coarse plate and then taking off the high points with a medium grit before I go back to the coarse.

One more reason to use the MKii Jig from Veritas ! Trust me I made those mistakes too.

That's what I'm using to fix my mistake now and how I initially sharpened my chisels. Im pretty sure I was scooping interest of stroking. After I fix it I will definitely go slowing during my free hand tune ups.

I thought I might be imagining it, but I have found the same thing.

If I'm taking down a lot of metal it helps to switch to a medium grit for a little while and then go back to the coarse diamonds. I figured that I'm seeing faster results because I'm scoring a grain pattern with the coarse plate and then taking off the high points with a medium grit before I go back to the coarse.

If you're imagining it so am I lol