Green turning

Rex Edgar

Just now, Rex Edgar said:

How soon after a tree is downed can 'green' turning commence?

Immediately.  I've turned stuff the same day.  The sooner you get to it, the easier (wet=soft) it cuts and the less likely things are to check before you get to them.

Just now, Rex Edgar said:

And is there sure way to guard against cracks while it is drying or do you just hope for the best?

Nope.  A paper bag is a good insurance policy but no guarantee.  The wood will do what it does and you will lose a few rough blanks in the process.  If a particular blank has such value to you that you want to go full Frank Howarth on it, good for you.  Otherwise, let them go and move on.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CandorLush said:

IE if your blank is 10 inches, make the walls of the rough bowl 1 inch so you still have enough "meat" to get a round bowl when it dries because it isn't a question of if it warp, it is how much it will warp.

So here's what I'm working with. If I understand, then I want the walls 1.5-2.0" thick. Do I need to allow some of the bottom for warpage/drying? Where do you anticipate the cracking/checking to occur? This was a living tree last Wednesday, 2/15.

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

If that roughed out bowl is 15-20" in diameter then you'd leave it 1.5-2" thick per the rule.  Make sure you make the tenon big enough that it can be reshaped if it warps but i wouldn't do them as long since it'll have to be removed and that will just take more time.  The end grain is usually what cracks since that's where moisture escapes the quickest causing cracks.

• Like 1