Tips on painting or fishing mdf

byegge

Hey everyone I am building a little cubby for my locker at work and I need to protect it from a few cleaning chemicals. It does not have to look pretty. My question is paint or polyurethane. I'm leaning towards the polyurethane because I already have it and I can spray it on. Any tips on how to do this. I've never painted or finished mdf. Will it swell more with paint? Thanks for advice. 

MDF edges seem to suck up about 1000 coats of finish before they will look smooth. I 'paint' the edges with glue size (about a 50/50 mix of PVA glue & water), let it dry & then lightly sand the edge. It seals it up very well.

I have a wooden counter top next to the laundry sink that periodically gets detergent & cleaners spilled on it. It's finished with just a couple of coats of oil based poly & is standing up well after 4 or 5 years.

Oil based paint would also be good.

• Like 2

Spraying waterbourne works fine. Light coats at first and sand lightly between coats no matter what you spray. Sand the edges to a very fine grit. I spray the edges a few coats before I spray the faces. If there is a primer available use it ! Much easier to sand and build a good smooth base for the best results.