Power source question

mandarb777

Hi everybody,

This is my first post and I have a question about using a step down/step up transformer with power tools.  I'm currently renting and the landlord let's me use the basement for my shop.  But I need more power, specifically for my table saw (craftsman contractor 1ish HP) and dust collector both of which are 110.  There is an unused 220 volt 30 amp receptacle (for a dryer).  Can I use that with the mentioned transformer?  I want to be safe and not waste money.

Thanks so much!

Dave

PS. Hope this is in the right place.

A dryer receptacle is a 4-wire receptacle - 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. Wiring the 2 hot produce a 240V circuit and wiring 1 hot and the neutral produces a 120V circuit. You can wire a subpanel as drazius has suggested and from there install a range of 120V and 240V circuits although of course your total draw can't exceed 30 amps. Get a knowledgeable friend to give you a hand.

23 minutes ago, Andy Wright said:

Only if you can find a plug like that for a 30 amp outlet. Different amp ratings of 240 outlets have different blade shapes and positions. I belive there are more than one plug shape for 30 amp dryers, age and code requirements can vary.