My Micro Wood-Shop (its a garage)

Derek_PNW

Starting a thread about my my micro wood-shop. I have about 15'x8' of work area in my tandem garage. Both cars have to park in the garage otherwise I would have a little more room. But all in all, I am a happy camper inside my tent of a wood-shop!

Today I wrapped up my workbench (pictures coming) and my dust collector.

My workbench is inspired by. . . well a lot of different people's workbenches. Paulk's and Jay's to name a couple. I just needed a large workbench with storage since there is no space for cabinets and such on the walls. Like I said, pictures to come.

I also finished upgrading my shop-vac driven dust collector to a Grizzly 1HP blower driven dust collector. I am happy with the results and have a couple slight modifications in mind for the future.

I would like to expand the hole where the PVC connects to the blower to bring the PVC closer to the cabinet. I would also like to somehow make it shorter by cutting a hole in the top of the cabinet to drop the drum into. Anyways I am quite happy with it.

Anyways, please enjoy my micro wood-shop journey! Thanks!

704d5390879888eb78fa3fed6714914c.jpg

800871190c192fdfbb5b16203d68e8ce.jpg

19fd5235ad91d3185a2c2eec30bb847b.jpg

b0f4ea3180451099ce46a34845422d8b.jpg

• Like 2

Well. . . I just learned something. . . My dust collector runs about 84 db with the cabinet door closed or open. It was originally used for my shop-vac which quieted it down to around 60 db... however with a canister filter and induction blower all the sound comes from the filter... back to the drawing board.

You started this shop with a darn nice ts!. Good luck with your transformation!

Thanks. I decided some tools I never wanted to buy again. Plus, I might as well eliminate one small hazard out of the hundreds in the shop.

• Like 1

Where did you get the filter and bucket from?

The air filter is from Grizzly. I live in Washington so it is a nice and easy drive to their showroom. Here is the link: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Canister-Filter-for-G0710-and-G0710P/T10877

The 3.5 gal bucket and gamma lid are from Amazon. I stole the idea on how to mount the bucket from Stumpy Nubs. He has a video under his dust collection section about upgrading a single unit collector.

• Like 1

Haha - my shop is small too!  I'm about 225 sq feet

Your shop is a dream shop compared to my 120 sqft (15'x8'). I might even be exaggerating the 15' part! I need to get home and measure now to be sure. I don't want to lie about my size... I will have to mount my future bandsaw and jointer to the ceiling!

Oh and I am already redesigning my dust collector. Decided I didn't like the footprint of my retrofit. Easier to just repurpose the materials and make it smaller and more efficient.

62233a950121f06c450c400c62ceafd5.jpg

Spent some time in the micro shop today. Rebuilt the dust collector and organized myself before starting on building my coffee table. The coffee table will have a solid black walnut top with a herringbone pattern on the sides. Utilizing 1/2" plywood, 2"x2" poplar posts and dados/loose tenons to build the base. Attached a snapshot of the CAD drawing.

0716a04f387421874c3ea96492d782be.jpg

aad1f625df7bde047035d2945214ddf7.jpg

e526114faa7a4905453851a65c3ee5dd.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my straight-line rip jig and mounted the JessEm Clear-Cut table saw rollers using two MagSwitch 150's. I saw the rollers mounted like this at my local Woodcraft and like that I could easily move them out of my way if needed.

Tomorrow I will tackle my planer sleds.

8f8f72c978bfb8a3d12d61a215585c72.jpg

4b186deb3abe81096c6704c99538134e.jpg

84fb6aecff18971b517aa91d3cc9aa58.jpg

• Like 2

I am impressed with the JessEm Clear-Cut table saw rollers! These things make cutting sheet goods and large pieces of lumber effortless. The holding power to the fence and the table is remarkable!

Spent the day working on the planer sleds. I am not finished since I had to experiment with milling lumber for my first time. It went well actually... enjoyed working with the DW735.

Here is the controlled chaos...

15059f79630812dcbce5ee78ce3f95d2.jpg

c2954714cb5583c635ae04624ab4a294.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Derek_PNW said:

I am impressed with the JessEm Clear-Cut table saw rollers! These things make cutting sheet goods and large pieces of lumber effortless. The holding power to the fence and the table is remarkable!

Me too, I added them a month or so ago, still getting used to them, but so far they are great.

• Like 1

I was just looking at those today ! I would love to hear how they work.

I have been extremely impressed with them. They are easy to adjust for each cut. If they are in the way I simply flip the magswitches to off and remove the entire set up. I mounted the wheels this way since I couldn't bring myself to drill holes into my SawStop fence. . . Since I am new to woodworking they have increased the accuracy of my cuts significantly. The wheels point 5 degrees towards the fence and really pull the stock close. Worth the money for the piece of mind and increased accuracy.