Sizing tolerances

davems

Hello, 

I'm just getting started in wood working and am starting with a planer stand.   I'm just using 2x4, which I've jointed, planed and glued together (for legs).  Then jointed again, rip sawed, planed again and have 3x3 posts.   I used a pair of calipers to check the thickness on either end and noticed that it's about a 100th of an inch off.  I'm curious if this variance would be considered reasonable for furniture (I know this is just a planer stand) in most cases.  In other words, is it reasonable to expect some level of variance or would you expect it to be exact.. exact.

Thanks!

Whatever variation you have in your milled stock will show up in your finished work. It's nice to think that errors will cancel each other out, but the opposite is true. They will gather together in the most visible place. The closer tolerances you can work to, the easier things will be in following steps. This is just a guess, but it sounds like your jointer is producing tapered cuts.

• Like 1

That's considerably less than 1/64" so absolutely. Remember, this is woodworking not machinist work. If I'm within 1/32" I consider that good enough. Others may disagree but chasing 64ths will wear you out. Keep building and welcome to the forums!

Listen to Bob!  He is a master woodworker!  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone and Thanks @Bob Lang, I'll do some more tests with just the jointer and see how it measures up, maybe I was too heavy with the oribital sander... or it's like you say, will definitely look into that, thanks for the suggestion. @Eric. yeah, I'm sure won't be perfect after some time, just hope to get things dialed in, next is work bench I'll make with hard maple.