Hello From Oregon!

cmekvold

15 minutes ago, cmekvold said:

Thank you Pondhockey!

That is something that I am eager to try! I'm curious how that would work out.

Wouldn't it have to dry for a year before it would be able to be carved effectively?

NO!!!!!

Another great thing about carving.  You can dry a chunk of wood in the oven at low temperature in a matter of (several, at least) hours.

If you are interested I'll look up the USDA Forest Products Lab info on this.   

It is true that for those of us working on several or many large slabs or dimensional wood, even in kilns, it takes many months to dry.  It is also true that firewood "rounds" typically take similar times to dry.  Drying times also depend greatly on species - Tamarack/Larch dries much more quickly than Douglas Fir.  I don't exactly know where Juniper fits in except that I dried 10 slabs in my garage from about 18% to now less than 6% in about 5 months.  Small carvable wood "blanks" could have dried much faster, especially in an oven.

You may have to experiment with techniques to avoid "checking" (cracks.)   But with small pieces, that experimenting should go pretty quickly (and maybe you can find where someone has done it for you!)