Guilty of thinking like a hobbyist

Tom King

So old growth cypress ? I've had new growth cypress feel more like sponge cake. Back to original or as close as possible , Kudos !

Cutting by eye & a pencil mark , great, bringing 2 helpers and 40 + years of experience,  smart, mixing 23 gauge stainless nails and historically correct hand forged nails, priceless !!!!!!

• Like 1

Tom, just out of curiosity, there are two pieces in each section that go from corner to corner. Why did you just miter one side of each end and nail it to the sides as opposed to mitering each side of each end where it would fit in the corner and be centered in the corners, touching two sides? I think the way you did it looks much cooler than the way I would have! Great job.

• Like 1

K Cooper, the design is more complicated than it looks, when trying to avoid problems I found in every old one I saw.  It was most important to have the middle two elements of each section meet with their outside lines forming a right angle on the same side of the vertical dividers.  In order to do that, one of the main cross members doesn't quite even get to one corner.

There is one piece in the whole assembly that does bisect one of the angles between a vertical, and the handrail.  The stringers were old, and too good to replace, but one side longer than the other, as well as out of parallel a little. It needed to be built so as you look through, from one side to the other, the the angles of the balustrade were the same on both sides.

Spacing with open space relative to member width appeared most pleasing when 4:1.   Pieces need to be a little less than an inch to look like other old ones, and current code calls for a 4" ball not passing through anywhere.  Not that code needed to apply, but why not?   3-3/4":15/16".

After the first cross was placed, each of the next set of pieces was 4 in each of the 10 sections, so 40 pieces in each run.  The crosscut saw needed sharpening again before I was finished, but I made do.

Yes.   Old growth heart.   Air dried for over 40 years.  Out of some of the leftover boards from making shingles, that are on this house.

White pieces on the ground were from the 20th Century section I knocked out on the porch front.  The picture was taken before it was finished all the way.  

• Like 2

Chippendale had three "Periods" of his work.  The third was called his Chinese period.  All things Chinese were very much in vogue then-one of the reasons we call dinnerware "China" today.  George Washington received an order of 300 pieces of Chinese Blue and White dinnerware that came on a ship carrying something like 30 tons of it (might have been 60 tons-memory not the best on that sort of thing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Chippendale_(architecture)