Butt joint 2X4's

James

Hi There

I plan on making bunk beds out of 2X4's and 1X4's with 2X6's for side rails.

What I want to do is make it so the top bed will lift off so I need to make some kind of butt joint or whatever. I do plan on cleaning up the wood to make it look nice, not just some 2X4's thrown together. There will be two 2X4's for each corner laminated together, this will be necessary for the plan I have.

Any ideas for doing this?

Thanks

James

bunk bed corner post.JPG

Dowels, Dominos or mortice and tenon. The open hole, mortice  whatever goes in the upper bunks legs. The protruding part on the lower bunk could have a cap that fits over it in case they get set up as 2 single beds. Just make a cap for the upper posts on the top bunkers so they match.

And welcome to the Forum !

• Like 2

Look into a wide stock dowel jig like this one. I have this exact model and it self centers nicely. I've used it to secure 2x4s butt jointing in 4x4s similar to your project. You will want larger dowels, 3/8" diameter or greater for this project. I think it is a good option, in terms of cost, as the only other tool required is a hand drill, which everyone has.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-America-445-7600-Professional-Self-Centering/dp/B009K0GD1Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488066790&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Large+dowel+jig

I did something similar years back for my grand kids.  I wouldn't do the overlapping thing, just make the legs flush this way that can be used separately as twin beds down the road.  I drilled holes in the center of each leg using a Forstner bit for a 3/4 inch dowel.  I went a good 2 1/2 inches in each leg.  If you can finds some nice poplar in you area it would be nicer and not much more then the construction lumber you are planing on.  Especially if you are going to paint them.  Poplar takes paint real well.

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-STAINLESS-STEEL-ROUND-ROD-302-5-16-315-8MM-X-3-LONG-/152440524777?hash=item237e29cfe9:g:S7EAAOSwwbdWGKJ1

or longer.  There are any number of different diameter, and length, stainless rods available on ebay.

Let us know where you find 2x4s that will stay straight.   If you are set on Yellow Pine, find some http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/woodproducts/lumber/southern-lumber/framer-series/   pieces to cut the parts out of, but be aware that it's not quite as good as they say it is, even though it is much better than other Yellow Pine available these days.  

I wouldn't make it out of Spruce framing lumber.

The beds that we had for the two youngest boys just had a 3/8" hole an the top and bottom of each leg. Short steel pins were inserted in the top of the four legs of the bottom bed and then the legs of the top bed just slid onto the pins. 3/8 button caps plugged the holes in the top ends of the top bed's legs. These were purchased beds, but the joint was simple and effective. We never had a problem with them.

Charley

Thanks all.

Just so I got it straight, butt joint the wood together and use a dowel, metal or wood, to join together. Would this make it stable enough with just gravity holding?

Or build a sleeve to fit the top portion into?

Good point about 2X4 being straight though, will look into this. Remember that there are head board 1X4's and 2X6 side rails to hold everything. Also cutting the vertical portion so I can lift off the top bed will greatly shorten the vertical length and I would suspect less likely to warp.

untitled.JPG