Nik's Build

nikbrown

Finally had a chance to make an early morning (pre-work) run for lumber this morning. Met the Amish guys at Yoder Lumber as they came in for work at 6am this morning. Found some great Cherry boards.

2 of them are about 10.5" wide and one is about 8.5". Trying to decide if I'll stick to the plan dimensions and see if I can get my rails and stiles out of the body off-cuts, or if I'll just add about 2" of depth.

post-1793-0-15953000-1295269800_thumb.jp

The wife decided that we didn't really have a need for a bathroom cabinet in either of our bathrooms so this will probably hang next to my drill press in the shop and store bits etc....

You are very fortunate to be able to get your hands on that type of material... would be a stretch and a lot of $$ for us in Western Canada...

Yea I've discovered that Northern OH is a great place to be a woodworker! Got that material for $3.30/BF! Now if I could only find time to actually get into the shop and do something with it. Hoping to get in there and at least flatten and surface it tonight.

Well I jointed and planed my stock finally today. About half way through prepping my stock I decided that all my planes laying all over my bench was making it impossible to work. Consequentially I decided to modify the plans and make a plywood version as well for a plane tool cabinate. :) Dovetails nicely with all the videos :D

BTW: Marc cool router dado jig! Watched the video today finally. Now I just need some stable birch plywood for jig making.

Got all the ply cut and the edge banding in glue up for my ply tool chest version....

post-1793-0-16355900-1296421009_thumb.jp

(in the background you can see some of the crap I need to organize and the reason for this ply build.)

Just using some ply I have in the shop. I can't remember what the veneer is. It's about the same color as the cherry right now... kind of pinkish. The cherry edge banding will darken of course with age... but it's shop furniture and I'm making the banding 1/4" thick so its will hopefully just age into a subtle nice complimentary color.

I got all the pieces designated and rough dimensioned for the hardwood version. Wont go any further on this version until the ply one is finished and I can get some of my tools off my bench.

post-1793-0-89239600-1296421031_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

After a coule week detour that involved a trip to Maui I got back into the shop yesterday and mostly finished up the plywood version. I still need to do the top and bottom molding but the plane rack is mostly done.

I made it so the plane tray can be lifted out and replaced if needed in the future (as the stable of planes evolves) :)

Just need to do the molding and apply some finish.

post-1793-0-97291900-1298837466_thumb.jp

post-1793-0-28042900-1298837484_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow this is an old topic.... but guess what? I finally finished chopping my dovetails for the hardwood version :D

WHAT?!?!? I'm only 10 months behind schedule <_< I really want to start a couple projects but I decided I wasn't allowed to start anything new until all the sacks of milled and ready parts for old projects in my shop were gone.

Lets see how long it takes me to get the dados done. :wacko: