Media Cabinet

Guy

I would like to get others opnions on different design aspects that they might have chosen for this project. This is my first project and kinda my baby lol. I designed this piece for my portfolio and would like to hear how others might have changed it so I can take that and build from it for future clients.

This piece has had a strong influence from Shaker design but I feel with a modern twist(I would also like to know what style of furntiure you think this would fall under), the joinery is mostly mortise and tenon with floating solid wood, bookmatched panels through out. I chose this picture so you can see the piece for what it is intended for. If you would like to see more pictures with out all the electronics I would be happy to send you some.

I look foward to hearing everyones critiques, Thank you.

Guy Bucey

post-116-0-45225300-1295361162_thumb.jpgpost-116-0-17296300-1295361612_thumb.jpg

Guy. Before writing this I debated whether to write it or not but is best to give a friendly opinion between us woodworkers than from a client or a designer.

I have an issue with the grain orientation on your center panels of the doors and side panels. In my case I would have oriented the doors grain vertically in the same direction as your door stiles.

Other than that, this looks fantastic.

I would like to get others opnions on different design aspects that they might have chosen for this project. This is my first project and kinda my baby lol. I designed this piece for my portfolio and would like to hear how others might have changed it so I can take that and build from it for future clients.

This piece has had a strong influence from Shaker design but I feel with a modern twist(I would also like to know what style of furntiure you think this would fall under), the joinery is mostly mortise and tenon with floating solid wood, bookmatched panels through out. I chose this picture so you can see the piece for what it is intended for. If you would like to see more pictures with out all the electronics I would be happy to send you some.

I look foward to hearing everyones critiques, Thank you.

Guy Bucey

post-116-0-45225300-1295361162_thumb.jpgpost-116-0-17296300-1295361612_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with Mr. Slack on this one. Unless you were deliberately intending to orientate them in an unconventional manner, which is fine if that's what a client wants, but, normally they would expect to have them vertical. Great first peice though. Your joints look first rate and the finish as far as any photo can show looks very good

I have to agree with Mr. Slack on this one. Unless you were deliberately intending to orientate them in an unconventional manner, which is fine if that's what a client wants, but, normally they would expect to have them vertical. Great first peice though. Your joints look first rate and the finish as far as any photo can show looks very good

Alot of it had to do with the dimensions of the doors for me. they are more wide then tall and the stock that i had was not wide enough for me to orientate the grain that way, I also like the visual look of how the grain resembles almost ripples in a pond when a pebble hits it, also I though it would be good to breaks up all the up and down orientation of the piece, but i do understand what you are saying and definitely will mention that the grain orientation can go the other way if a client feels that there is something off with the piece. Thanks guys for your comments, I am looking forward to more.

Guy

Looks great, Guy. From what I can tell from the photos, your workmanship was very well done on this piece. As far as the grain direction on the door panels, I think you're fine going horizontal with the cathedral pattern. I think if the piece were a little wider where it was obvious to the eye at first glance that the panel is wider than tall, no one would be the least bit bothered by their orientation. I don't know how much lumber you had to work with and that is always a crunch point in design, but the right top rail does a much better job of complimenting the panel than the left top rail. I'd say this fits quite square in the Arts and Crafts/Shaker era. I know I need to learn more about arcs and how to carry those through a piece, to have them be supplementary or complimentary to each other. Your arcs seems fine to me, but I'm still learning that end. I like the piece, but the most important thing is how your better half feels. We're a bunch of guys and, while I don't want to be stereotypical, we don't generally make the decision on furniture purchases. I would put more stock in the reaction of the women that will see this. Your wife, her girl friends, etc. Ask for specifics, not just "do you like it"..but, "what do you like, what don't you like". They don't have to be art connoisseurs, but they will instinctively know what they do and don't like. I'm lucky that my wife has very similar tastes to myself AND has a great sense of design. I get to bounce my sometimes crazy ideas of her.

Looks great, Guy. From what I can tell from the photos, your workmanship was very well done on this piece. As far as the grain direction on the door panels, I think you're fine going horizontal with the cathedral pattern. I think if the piece were a little wider where it was obvious to the eye at first glance that the panel is wider than tall, no one would be the least bit bothered by their orientation. I don't know how much lumber you had to work with and that is always a crunch point in design, but the right top rail does a much better job of complimenting the panel than the left top rail. I'd say this fits quite square in the Arts and Crafts/Shaker era. I know I need to learn more about arcs and how to carry those through a piece, to have them be supplementary or complimentary to each other. Your arcs seems fine to me, but I'm still learning that end. I like the piece, but the most important thing is how your better half feels. We're a bunch of guys and, while I don't want to be stereotypical, we don't generally make the decision on furniture purchases. I would put more stock in the reaction of the women that will see this. Your wife, her girl friends, etc. Ask for specifics, not just "do you like it"..but, "what do you like, what don't you like". They don't have to be art connoisseurs, but they will instinctively know what they do and don't like. I'm lucky that my wife has very similar tastes to myself AND has a great sense of design. I get to bounce my sometimes crazy ideas of her.

Hey Guy,

I think asking for a woman's opinion is great advice.

By the way, I would not have made the doors with the horizontal grain. But, having now seen it, I like it. I might borrow the idea sometime. I like this forum for that type of thing, because it makes me think of things I wouldn't have normally tried. Something as simple as orienting the door's grain another way often eludes me. I often get stuck in the "this is how it is supposed to be done" habit. I don't even consider alternatives and that's a short coming on my behalf.

I’ve looked at this piece about 20 times trying to come up with something constructive, rather than just saying “I like it”… which I do. One thing I might mention, often when I design work for others, or to show others my capabilities, I will try to avoid a 3/4" plank showing. Does that make sense? My thought on that is commercial furniture is all 3/4" stuff. I will try to have the views of my pieces at least appear to be something other than 3/4" (Normally larger, but can also be done smaller.) That way it screams out that this is a “Custom” piece.

I don't know if this is making sense or if it is really a "critique" or more just a thought. Obviously I still use 3/4" stock, but I will try to disguise it. For example the shelf on which the components rest looks to be 3/4". AND IT LOOKS GREAT! But one idea might be to disguise that as well as the top so they appear to 5/4” or anything other than 3/4" really.

Again, I think the piece is outstanding. Just a thought for future products, I’ve found that the people I build for really want to have everyone know that piece of furniture in their house is “Custom Built” for their house.

Last question, ever consider doing the same piece as a corner unit?

Hey Guy,

I think asking for a woman's opinion is great advice.

By the way, I would not have made the doors with the horizontal grain. But, having now seen it, I like it. I might borrow the idea sometime. I like this forum for that type of thing, because it makes me think of things I wouldn't have normally tried. Something as simple as orienting the door's grain another way often eludes me. I often get stuck in the "this is how it is supposed to be done" habit. I don't even consider alternatives and that's a short coming on my behalf.

I’ve looked at this piece about 20 times trying to come up with something constructive, rather than just saying “I like it”… which I do. One thing I might mention, often when I design work for others, or to show others my capabilities, I will try to avoid a 3/4" plank showing. Does that make sense? My thought on that is commercial furniture is all 3/4" stuff. I will try to have the views of my pieces at least appear to be something other than 3/4" (Normally larger, but can also be done smaller.) That way it screams out that this is a “Custom” piece.

I don't know if this is making sense or if it is really a "critique" or more just a thought. Obviously I still use 3/4" stock, but I will try to disguise it. For example the shelf on which the components rest looks to be 3/4". AND IT LOOKS GREAT! But one idea might be to disguise that as well as the top so they appear to 5/4” or anything other than 3/4" really.

Again, I think the piece is outstanding. Just a thought for future products, I’ve found that the people I build for really want to have everyone know that piece of furniture in their house is “Custom Built” for their house.

Last question, ever consider doing the same piece as a corner unit?

Thanks Chet for your sugestions, I agree with you on the center shelf being alittle thicker, it might go well with the thicker legs. The top is actually an inch thick I did a pretty large chamfer on the bottom with a small back chamfer on the top I didnt want the top to look so thick and bulky and that helped thin it out alot visually. You cant really tell in the picture but the ends on the top are also slightly rounded to break up the squareness of the top and I thought it flowed well with the curve in the rails and stretchers. Also becuase like you said I thought it would give it a custom built look.

Again thank you for the critique!!!

I agree with you on the rails not going aswell, and that was more of a planning error on my part after completing the piece I realized that I probably should have reversed the grain pattern on the rails to match the panels, when i was making the doors i wanted the rails to follow the flow of the stretcher under neath and didnt even consider the door panels(live and learn aye). I find it funny about the door panels grain direction though, I wasnt even aware that there was a certain way the grain is supposed to be positioned in a door panel. I just thought it looked nice that way, I guess that is one good thing about being nieve to some design aspects you can mistakingly do something out of the box and open up new ideas.

By the way the wife loves the piece and we will hate to see it go if it ends up selling.

Thanks for the reply vic I always appreciate what you have to say, and see ya in the chat room!!!!

The top is actually an inch thick

... You cant really tell in the picture but the ends on the top are also slightly rounded to break up the squareness of the top

I thought the top was thicker.

I did notice the slightly rounded ends on the top. I thought that also flowed well with the rounded rails on the doors and side panels.

Good job.