Japanese Joinery

TBaiga

I've been doing a lot of background reading on the Arts & Crafts movement, Gustav Stickley and Greene & Greene (as well as the Hall Brothers). There was a quote by Darrell Peart that said "Greene and Greene is Gustav Stickley meets Japan." It seems that various exhibitions around the turn of the century pealed back the veil on Japanese architectural design, highlighted by the craftsmanship of Japanese woodworkers and their exquisite joinery. I've seen some youtube videos and a few drawings, but never have gotten my hands on any texts detailing the Japanese joinery. I understand there are a few good text out there, by one seems out of print and very high priced. So it's the internet right...has to be something out there in the public (read 'free') domain. I found the JAANUS database (Japanese Architecture and Art Net User System). A quick search of "joint" turned up quite a few hits. I copied those that had full illustrations and made a pdf (see attached). I didn't do any editing or organizing, just a quick copy and paste. There are some amazing (to me) joints here, although most of the concepts are the same to things you've seen or made.

Anyway, thought I'd share this...if anything else it might generate some ideas for puzzle boxes or as Rob pit it, joinery showboating. http://woodtalkonline.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Here's the link to the dB http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/

And if anyone wants the MS Word version, just contacting directly.

Japanese Joinery.pdf

• 3 months later...