Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Applying Polyurethane When It's Cold

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there any such thing as "too cold" for applying polyurethane? I know that it takes longer to cure when it's cold, but is there any downside other than that? Nothing I can find on the manufacturers' websites (Minwax, General Finishes) talks about this particular issue.

-- Russ

Posted

It should be above 60 for best results. The problem might be flowing and leveling, and you could get dust and junk in the film cause the finish won't skim over. Because the finish won’t flow well, might orange peel or look like fish eye.

-Ace-

Posted

Thanks again, Ace. Here in Phoenix we normally don't have to worry about "too cold", but today we do. And probably tomorrow. And maybe the next day.

-- Russ

Posted

If you're below 45 and its even slightly damp you quite likely to get bloom as well as prolonged drying times. Which gives everything that much better chance of getting scratched or dusty. I'd try getting the temperature up to between 60 and 70.

Posted

It get cold sometimes here in SoCal at least for spraying W/B poly.

What I do is take the can and put in a bucket of hot water.

If Im spraying the just the cup got in the bucket.

Hey it works for me

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Finally started my lumber rack
      By TIODS · Posted
      That's going to look awesome all filled up Mike!
    • I'd like some clarification please...
      By Eric. · Posted
      More often than not, I think, a thread disappears because the author deletes it.  This happens quite often, and I don't really understand people's inclination to do that, but it happens.  We can pull deleted threads out of the archives if it's something people really want to continue talking about, but the OP deleted it for a reason and I suppose we should respect that regardless of why it was deleted. You can believe me when I say that none of the mods enjoy policing threads and deleting posts and topics.  It's not my idea of a good time and no one wants to censor anyone.  But there are two rules on the forum that are to be followed: no jerks, and no political or religious posts.  And while Coop's thread last night was not explicitly political, it was politically charged and there was not a single comment that could be made in reply without heading into political territory. Just for the record, I did not lock or delete that thread, but I completely understand why that action was taken.  I think the vast majority of the regular members here are friendly and reasonable people who could probably have a discussion about any subject under the sun without getting too nasty about it...except politics and religion.  There's just something about those two topics that brings out the worst in people, and can drive a wedge between even the oldest and best of friends.  There's something written in the human DNA that simply does not allow rational conversation on those topics. There are plenty of places on the internet you can visit if you feel the need to express yourself politically.  I personally find that a monumental waste of time, but to each his own.
    • Hod tips and tricks
      By amateur eric · Posted
      Came across a gentleman's YouTube page on woodworking the other day. His name is Izzy Swan. Definitely worth checking out. Especially if you're just starting off. Shows you how to do certain things for cheap and Make some money to fund your own shop. Learned some neat stuff there Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    • Finally started my lumber rack
      By estesbubba · Posted
      One thing I didn't plan very well with my new shop was the lumber storage. I originally was just going to move this into the new space, but as construction progressed and I got my machines and dust collection figured out, this wasn't going to work without getting the way.  After a lot of going back and forth I settled on what I did at our last house - heavy duty standards and shelf brackets. Each bracket is 14" and rated for 150 lbs and I didn't have any problems when I used them before. About $4 for 48" standards and $2 for 14" brackets so not a lot of money. Funny thing is they have smaller brackets, but the smaller they are, the more they cost.  I got all the standards up today and started moving some of my wood but my legs and back are killing me after all the ladder fun. I think tomorrow I'll pull my fifth wheel hitch out and use the truck.  QSWO on the left (still have more to move) and chokecherry on the right. For sheet goods I'm just going to build a mobile cart and keep it in front of the overhead door. I buy sheet goods as needed and don't plan on keeping much around. Of course I've collected too much local hardwoods - mainly because of deals too good to pass up. 
    • New shop!
      By amateur eric · Posted
      I did a brief inspection this morning. By the looks of it, he had actually had his own power from a power line running down the road. It had a box at the base (which is now almost hidden by grass about 30 yards behind the shop) and not from the house. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room