Fine Woodworking's new website

John Anderson

It looks like a lot of it is a repackaging of the stuff that's already on the main Fine Woodworking website.

For example, compare this article on making a planer sled:

http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/planer-sled-milling-lumber

to this one on the FWW website:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=5245

All their websites seem to have been taken over by persons who want to question your political affiliations more than share information. They are also starting to use some of those guerilla marketing tactics to get access to your credit card #. Their "free trials", will often end up giving them an excuse to charge your card sometime down the road. That is not the right way to make a buck when you advertise that you have a better quality product than the other guy.

It is not good business to get too tricky when you want to deal with the carriage trade.

I do like their magazine. It is almost and addiction.

One thing I found is that their site will publish magazine articles in advance of me getting the magazine. That led me to not renewing my mag subscription as I had both they up the charge of the online subscription when you do that, but it's still cheaper than subscribing both ways only to get mostly the same content.

• 4 years later...