Need a wheel style marking gauge

Nick2cd

So, i've never cut a mortise and tennon (im new to woodworking). i think i need a wheel style marking gauge to lay out my mortise and tennon joints. rockler and woodcraft both have them for approx $15, but the reviews are just average. the next step up is around $100. is there some middle ground? are the reviews correct about the $15 gauges? just seems like such a simle concept, how can a company make a poor one? do you have one you like?

So, i've never cut a mortise and tennon (im new to woodworking). i think i need a wheel style marking gauge to lay out my mortise and tennon joints.

I've watched several videos where Marc and others hand-cut dovetails. I don't recall ever seeing a wheel style marking gauge. I remember seeing the ones with a wooden stop block, a wooden shaft, and a small knife blade, like this one ($50 at Rockler).22206-01-200.jpg

I have used the Veritas wheel gauge for over 5 years and it works great. I do not have the micro adjust version as it wasn't available when I bought it and have since gotten the Tite-Mark version. There is certainly a difference but I imagine the micro adjust version of the Veritas would be work great. I do recommend the micro adjust feature. You won't use it a lot but when you need it, it is awesome.

Only thing I'd do different is get the one with micro adjust. I've heard many people find it very handy.

I have used the Veritas wheel gauge for over 5 years and it works great. I do not have the micro adjust version as it wasn't available when I bought it and have since gotten the Tite-Mark version. There is certainly a difference but I imagine the micro adjust version of the Veritas would be work great. I do recommend the micro adjust feature. You won't use it a lot but when you need it, it is awesome.

Yea I have the micro adjust version without the graduations on the shaft. I would recommend getting the micro adjust as well. for $7 its a no brainer feature.

+1 on the Veritas wheel gauge with micro-adjust. It was economically priced and for $10 extra dollars you can get the mortise attachment. I've used it a few times in my shop and I am very happy with it. I find the wheel is nicer than using a pointed blade on the other style mortise/tenon markers. It leaves a mark in the wood better and doesn't tear wood fibers as easily.

I have the Veritas wheel, and I think it is very good. I do have a tendency to tilt it up, so that the line is short. I think if the fence was larger, it would be more stable. Also, I think a flat surface on the fence would help it from rolling off my bench. :)

Veritas® Wheel Marking Gauges

05n3323s1.jpg

Jonathan

=====================================

I have been using my standard one for several years now and it gets the done. That being said one with micro adjust is on my list!!

Nate

I like my standard one too, but some day I am going to create some extenders to go on the end (using the threaded hole that holds the marking wheel) so I can put a pair of marking wheels and a spacer on the end. That way I will be able to mark both sides of the mortice and the tenon with one gauge! But I'll just have to wait a little while for my Round Tuit to turn up.