Repair antique drawer slides

4 posts in this topic

Posted

The bottom of the side (the slides) of the drawers for by antique desk are worn. The desk wood is mahoganny. Most advice on the web mentions reversing the glide, but there is no separate glide in my case. I am wondering if the drawers could be repaired by attaching a hardwood shim to the bottom. Am I correct? Would just wood glue do to attach the shims? Where would I find hardwood shims?

Posted

The bottom of the side (the slides) of the drawers for by antique desk are worn. The desk wood is mahoganny. Most advice on the web mentions reversing the glide, but there is no separate glide in my case. I am wondering if the drawers could be repaired by attaching a hardwood shim to the bottom. Am I correct? Would just wood glue do to attach the shims? Where would I find hardwood shims?

Without pictures it's hard to say but, when I used to restore antiques the favourite method for drawer sides was to plane them back to good wood and then glue a fresh piece of wood to them and trim gently to fit. In most cases here in Europe regardless of cabinet timber the drawer sides would be quarter sawn Oak. It's not a difficult job but, does need time and care.

Pete

Posted

Without pictures it's hard to say but, when I used to restore antiques the favourite method for drawer sides was to plane them back to good wood and then glue a fresh piece of wood to them and trim gently to fit. In most cases here in Europe regardless of cabinet timber the drawer sides would be quarter sawn Oak. It's not a difficult job but, does need time and care.

Pete

Posted

Thank you. Since I need to glue a piece on, I think that I will first look for an oak 18" shim.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Power tools & hand tools
      By Daniel. · Posted
      Since I don't have a workshop, and I have to move all my tools each time I want to use them, I always try to do the job wieh my hand tools first and resort to my power tools when reason calls for them.
    • Recycled Jarrah - filling holes
      By Fatsav · Posted
      Hi Guys, just joined group. Staring to get into woodworking. First project new wooden side gate, using recycled Jarrah from a mates roof. There are some large holes where I have cleaned out some rot. I want to know the best product to use to fill in holes. Finished product will be oiled to show off the natural colour of the timber. Most putty's Ive seen are not 'natural looking'. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of resin product. Ive been told that it needs to be UV stable as well. Any help would be much appreciated.
    • Power tools & hand tools
      By Chet K. · Posted
      I do have to say that I own a decent set of chisels for that little touch up here and there and I am going to enjoy reading Marc's book on the subject.  In reading through the responses here I feel as though I may be losing my footing at the edge of the rabbit hole
    • Gaming Dining Table Ideas
      By gcomer · Posted
      Two thoughts so far.  First, if you are thinking the accessory rail would be a design element when in table mode, should there be provisions made to the accessories so they don't scratch the finish when they are added/removed?  Perhaps expand the tolerances a little and add some felt? The second, having not seen the full plans may not be an issue, but I would be a little concerned about the tolerances on the top pieces.  Too tight and might have problems with getting them in/out.  Too loose and I'd be concerned about them rattling when the table was used.  Have an idea of how maybe to address that, but don't know if 1) this is really an issue, 2) if the design would support the idea. Looks like a fun project, and I can think of a couple individuals who will probably want one.
    • Another Shop Tour
      By TIODS · Posted
      That's the nice part about my job - I can live anywhere and do the same job.  The wife and I will probably end up there after the youngest graduates.  He's a senior this year so, might be sooner rather than later, who knows..
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room