Repair antique drawer slides

oetti

The bottom of the side (the slides) of the drawers for by antique desk are worn. The desk wood is mahoganny. Most advice on the web mentions reversing the glide, but there is no separate glide in my case. I am wondering if the drawers could be repaired by attaching a hardwood shim to the bottom. Am I correct? Would just wood glue do to attach the shims? Where would I find hardwood shims?

The bottom of the side (the slides) of the drawers for by antique desk are worn. The desk wood is mahoganny. Most advice on the web mentions reversing the glide, but there is no separate glide in my case. I am wondering if the drawers could be repaired by attaching a hardwood shim to the bottom. Am I correct? Would just wood glue do to attach the shims? Where would I find hardwood shims?

Without pictures it's hard to say but, when I used to restore antiques the favourite method for drawer sides was to plane them back to good wood and then glue a fresh piece of wood to them and trim gently to fit. In most cases here in Europe regardless of cabinet timber the drawer sides would be quarter sawn Oak. It's not a difficult job but, does need time and care.

Pete

Without pictures it's hard to say but, when I used to restore antiques the favourite method for drawer sides was to plane them back to good wood and then glue a fresh piece of wood to them and trim gently to fit. In most cases here in Europe regardless of cabinet timber the drawer sides would be quarter sawn Oak. It's not a difficult job but, does need time and care.

Pete